why ram so much for laptop???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brice, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

I know that it is overall more expensive because it is condensed and compact. But I was a circuit city the other day looking for ram for my Compaq Evo n1000v, i know what kind i need and i found that there is a limited selection at CC. they had PNY which is where my questions come in. How come there is a 128MB chip (sodimm 133) for about $25-30 while the 256MB (what I'm looking for, or even a 512 if anyone can help) is $100. Did i miss something or is it that if it is twice as much ram shouldn't it be slightly more than twice as much $$$??? Does anyone know any good companies for laptop ram? Does the company really matter, is all ram (same type of course!) the same or does it differ from company to company? also is there troubles coming my way if i have two different companies' ram in my machine at the same time...? thanx-brice

2. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

There are several reasons why prices differ. For one thing, most machines come standard with 128 MB of memory (or 256 using 2 modules), and most folks never bother to upgrade. Thus manufactorers have a surplus of the lower end component which is used in every machine, while the upper range memory is scarcer since much less of it is made. This is doubly the case for certain notebook makers who use proprietary memory.

Scarcity means higher priced in the wonderful world of capitolism.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Crucial is one of the best available:
    Crucial memory for the Compaq Evo N1000v
    $80.99 with free 2nd day fedex shipping, no tax for most states, guaranteed compatibility, lifetime warranty. DDR PC2100, CL2.5, non-parity.

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

RAM is like gas. The prices change daily. Sometimes it'll be exactly twice as much, other times it won't