What's new

Why Pet Sounds DVDA is delayed... (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Difficult original master tapes!

I was flipping through the latest copy of HiFi News & Record Review, one of the better UK mags, and they had a story on Dark Side of The Moon. At the end they discussed the problems they had with the Pet Sounds transfer to DVDA. Apparently there are several half inch tapes and multiple equipment is required to get all of the sonics off the tape. I don't think there was an official date for release mentioned but I didn't buy the magazine...

So now we know what the reason for the delay is.

There is a listing of disc features on the Steve Hoffman forum and it looks good so we may be pleased when it does arrive.

:)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Amazon still shows July 22nd.

Master tapes should not be relevant because they have been using the same master tapes for several previous remasters, plus the Pet Sounds Sessions box set.

Here is an in-depth article about creating the Pet Sounds DVD-Audio, where it talks about using the same multitrack tapes in 1997:

http://www.mixonline.com/ar/audio_pet_sounds_surround

I think the problems mentioned in the UK magazine occurred several years ago...

Good News/Bad News

1st the good news:

"CDPLUS.COM"

Subject :
CDPLUS.COM Shipping Notification

Date :
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:00:15 -0400

Hello

Your order has been shipped. You should get it in two - seven business days
depending on where you live.

Order Number: ED11KW4JN4CK9G92C8RE0BRWC6
Date: 7/16/2003 4:42:51 PM
Product Code: 724347793790
Title: Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (5.1/Stereo/Mono/W/

Now the bad news - up here in Canada our postal workers are set to strike 12:01 Am Friday.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Master tapes should not be relevant because they have been using the same master tapes for several previous remasters, plus the Pet Sounds Sessions box set.
Ken, the Hifi News&RR article said that the recording team at the record label told them it was the tapes...something having to do with extracting the phase information by comparing different tapes.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tomoko -- I just ordered my copy. I've given up on DVD Planet placing this title up for preordering.

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Ken,

I like the following quote from the Mixonline article that underscores my point about jitter:

“The other thing that made a big difference in this project,” he continues, “is my Lucid external clock generator [the SSG-92]. I'm a total convert to using the best external clock source you can get, because we did some tests that prove that, especially when you're dealing with coincident material, it makes an enormous difference in the depth of the soundfield.
We use a Lucid GenX 96 and it is superb at lowering jitter and improving the sound.

Thanks for the link.

:)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tomoko -- I just ordered my copy. I've given up on DVD Planet placing this title up for preordering.
As am I John. It seems like DVD Planet may be going through some financial difficulties, as they place discs up for pre-order and then never receive any stock. The still have Frank Zappa Halloween up as a coming soon title after it has been out for over three months.

I pre-ordered my copy from Digital Eyes for $19.96 including free shipping if you use the slow boat (media mail).

J

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I just got notice from cheap-cds.com that mine has been already shipped so I should have it Monday or Tuesday.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
This is definitely coming out Tuesday (July 22). I just got my copy, overnighted from EMI Capitol so that I can write about it on its release date.

I am in absolute, God Only Knows heaven!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

These surround mixes are out of this world--which I expected after a glimpse of the possibilites on the Endless Harmony DVD's bonus mixes. The attention to detail in the presentation is absolutely incredible, too. While listening to a track (there also are stereo and mono playback options, as well as DTS 5.1), you can access its track notes, session notes, lyrics (synchronized or manual) or photo gallery.

This also might be marketed as a DVD-A, but it's a true hybrid aimed at home-theater fans. Other video-based features include two promotional clips for Sloop John B, a Pet Sounds documentary, the LP promo film, all kinds of liner notes and more.

Back to the disc...

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Thanks Randy. Now I'm really getting excited! This is one of my all time favorite albums. I can't wait to get my hands on it!!

Now, if we could ever get a proper release of Smile!, I'd be one happy camper!!:D

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks