What's new

Why optical disc won't die anytime soon (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
jimmyjet said:
i found this to be an informative article about 4k

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/home-cinema/high-definition/ultra-hd-everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-1048954

since i am mostly into older stuff (movies or tv), i have a couple of questions

1) is there a physical limitation as to how many lines of scanning can be used when scanning a movie that was originally shot with film ?

2) without getting into a discussion about the "goodness of grain", does scanning with greater resolution reduce the graininess look to a movie ?
1) There will be a point of dimishing returns and a point where you start to introduce negatives into the image by scanning too high.

2) I have read 6K scanning can bring out all the available detail on 35mm shot film, some say 4K is enough, no it does not reduce film grain but it makes the film grain sharper and thus makes the fine detail available in the 35mm negatives stand out, we want fine detail thus we want the film grain preserved, if you want no grain then don't buy blu ray, we have discussed this many times in the past Jimmy.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
thanks foxy,

so 4-6 is the maximum. and one can make things worse by going beyond a certain amount, so higher is not always better.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
jimmyjet said:
thanks foxy,

so 4-6 is the maximum. and one can make things worse by going beyond a certain amount, so higher is not always better.
You would probably have to ask Mr Harris who is an expert, i would think it depends greatly on the film, for most 35mm shot films i think 4K to 6K max.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
The main reason I see Bluray being around for at least another 10-15 years is simply internet bandwidth to stream or even download content is not there in most of the world & at least 10-15 years away from the all fibre optic network needed to deliver this!

Right now I am buying all the Blurays I know I will rewatch time & again as sooner or later the BD will be history but I cannot see the studios being bold enough to go streaming only the physical disc market is actually growing rapidly in EU & HDTV sales (in UK where I live are at an alltime high!). The 1080P display's are still selling well so naturally the content has to be provided by the studios!!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
The blu-ray restoration of "Lawrence Of Arabia" was originally scanned in 8k, then restored/cleaned by Sony's tech crew supervised by VP Grover Crisp in 4k..THAT is the basis of both the theatrical and blu-ray reissue in 2012!!!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
lukejosephchung said:
The blu-ray restoration of "Lawrence Of Arabia" was originally scanned in 8k, then restored/cleaned by Sony's tech crew supervised by VP Grover Crisp in 4k..THAT is the basis of both the theatrical and blu-ray reissue in 2012!!!
Yes but that is 70mm shot film, one would hope for 8K scans of 70mm shot movies and maybe also VistaVision titles, for your average 35mm i think 8K would be overkill and there would be little benefit and higher costs in scanning at 8K.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
My point was that 4k is adequate resolution for most 35 mm productions but that wide-format films need at least 6k for proper archival/restoration purposes...I apologize for not making my point clear in my previous post.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
lukejosephchung said:
My point was that 4k is adequate resolution for most 35 mm productions but that wide-format films need at least 6k for proper archival/restoration purposes...I apologize for not making my point clear in my previous post.
It's ok, i thought you were replying to my above post, i wish Warner would go back and redo the 1962 edition of Mutiny On The Bounty using an 8K scan and 4K workflow, it could look stunning, the current blu ray is very disappointing.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jimmyjet said:
thanks foxy,so 4-6 is the maximum. and one can make things worse by going beyond a certain amount, so higher is not always better.
Can we get a "swing and a miss" emoticon for those too dense to get it?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi foxy,

with 4k just beginning, it would seem that it will last 10-20 years, anyways.

and if it will fit on a blu-ray disk with the new codec, it would seem that 4k will always have an optical disc platform for people to purchase.

i dont see us not being able to own our video products in my lifetime.

just what sort of gizmo it resides on, is not nearly so important.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well it's just as i thought, 4K will be on 100GB discs, if they have the replication lines sorted it's now just a matter of the BDA coming to agreement and i believe that will happen soon, i gotta thank David over at HDTV Test for bringing this to my attention.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=37859

SINGULUS TECHNOLOGIES developed a new replication line under the product name BLULINE III for the manufacturing of triple-layer Blu-ray Discs with a storage capacity of 100 GB.

Dr.-Ing. Stefan Rinck, Chief Executive Officer of the SINGULUS TECHNOLOGIES AG, comments: "Just in time for the market introduction of the new ultra-high definition television technology (4K or Ultra-HD), we completed the development of the production technology for the new triple-layer Blu-ray Discs with 100 GB storage capacity". Dr. Rinck adds: "For SINGULUS TECHNOLOGIES, in the Optical Disc segment the year 2013 has been very positive overall. Until the end of this year's August we received significantly more orders for Blu-ray Disc production machines than in the prior-year period. We also see good opportunities for the sales of our Blu-ray production equipment in the future. The positive life cycle of the Blu-ray Disc will continue for some years with the launch of the new ultra-high definition television format".The triple-layer Blu-ray Discs with 100 GB storage capacity, is the preferred playback medium for the new 4K technology.With the realization of a new data compression method for the ultra-high definition technology, the storage volume per disc layer can be increased from 25 GB to 33 GB, resulting to a total capacity of 100GB per disc.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well, I would call that....GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!
image.jpg
Looking forward to the upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks