why not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek S, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Derek S

Derek S Stunt Coordinator

has anyone other then me ever thought it would be really cool, if say 5 directors made the same film, at the same time.....give 5 directors the same script and let them go...using a totally different cast and everything.....they could shoot it in any style they wanted.....just to see how different each dir would do it.....

i've always wanted to see fight club directed by kevin smith...or starwars by fincher......

banky41

2. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Interesting thought, but it'll never happen. I don't think there's a studio out there that would be willing to take a $20 million picture and multiply it by 5, let alone some of the films with the gigantic budgets we're seeing today.
    It is a decent "what-if", though. I thought I'd heard somewhere that one of the directors considered for Return of the Jedi was David Lynch. Don't know if that's accurate or not, but wouldn't THAT be something?

3. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

That would be interesting. Of course, when directors RE-make a movie they are usually very familiar with the original and purposefully try to make theirs different/better. It would be very interesting to see what a handful of directors come up with simultaneously.

4. Derek S

i hear ya, I never expect to see this happen....with the studio$ being in charge....just something my minds thinks about from time to time....

I say we make a list of cool movies that could be made by other directors......

godfather by fincher

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I think this would be better if it were established as an short film anthology. Give each director a script that is purposefully devoid of a lot of details, save the dialogue. Given them an initial session to discuss and divide the different avenues of approach (so they all don't settle in on the same outlandish attempt to be different) and then let them rip. Heck, give them a 20 minute time limit and the spending shouldn't be out of control (look at the BMW films as a template) and it could be very entertaining and a wonderful exercise in implementation.

I for one would love to see some top shelf directors (Fincher, Gilliam, Spielberg) face off against the upstarts (Carpenter - in need of redemption, Michael Bay, Fuqua). I'd pay to see that!

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    This was already done, sort of, with Universal's classic 'Dracula.' During the day Todd Browning used the sets with Bela Lugosi to film his movie. Then, at night George Melford used the exact same sets and script (only translated into spanish) with a different cast and different setups and angles. Leonard Maltin considers the spanish version superior to Brownings. I've seen both and find the differences interesting, but Lugosi is just miles better as Dracula than Carlos Villar.

7. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I think I remember reading about some such experiment put on by a film festival. A few directors given the same script for a short film, they're given a month or so to come up with something, and then the films were shown at the festival. Of course I can't remember where I read that, which festival, or if that it's just a product of my own imagination.
    That was a lot of help. [​IMG]

8. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    It's not financially feasible, which is why it never happens. You seem to have the mistaken impression that motion picture making has something to do with artistic expression. Perish the thought!

9. Derek S

come on now, i said i knew this would never happen....

but lets say that L.A. falls into the ocean (thanks Mr Hicks) and movies were made for artistic reasons.....

i agree that short films would be a great start.....give them a script and let them go......you would need some way to keep them from going out of their way to do some thing different......maybe not tell them about it......

back to the future....by tim burton....

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

The closest thing I can recall to this is Four Rooms, in which Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell, Robert Rodriguez, and Quentin Tarantino each filmed a quarter on the movie.

11. David Echo

David Echo Stunt Coordinator

This is an easy one to figure out really. What film series is completely dead and could use some gimmick to get it going again? Friday the Thirteeth, of course. There should be a new movie out every single Friday the 13th of every single year until the end of time. Here's the deal: everyone gets one million dollars to bring their spin to the Jason saga. Imagine what a James Cameron or Ang Lee or Martin Scorsese or even Woody Allen take on the unstoppable killing machine would be like! and don't even get me started on the Tarentino one.

Just an idea.

Dave

12. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

13. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

14. Terrell

Terrell Producer

This would be interesting to see. I'd love to see the greats like Spielberg, Lynch, Howard, etc, faceoff against Scorsese, Coppola, and others. It would be interesting to say the least.

As for Lynch directing Star Wars, no way no how. I watched Dune last night and didn't care for it. Star Wars would have been completely different under Lynch. Again, I would trust Spielberg or maybe even Burton, before Lynch. I found Dune to be cold and lifeless. Some scenes were surreal as Tom suggested. The film just left me bored. But that's just me. I rented it last night after asking Tom_G and Terry about it. Some scenes were definitely beautiful, but I didn't care for it. Now, had Lynch directed all of the Star Wars films, then maybe I would feel different. But then Star Wars might not be what it is today. Thank God for Lucas, Kirshner, Marquand, and Kasdan on the screenplays.