Why not use DVD-Video as a DVD-A player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Reinwald, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Joe Reinwald

Joe Reinwald Stunt Coordinator

I realize the answer is because the DVD-A specs say you can't (and of course the problem of software), but why couldn't there be essentially multi-channel dvd-video sans picture as DVD-A? There is obviously bass management, since DVD-video goes through the receiver/pre-pro, etc. Without video to take up space on a disc, there would be tremendous potential for high-bit rates.

Am I missing something?

-Joe

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Joe,

I'm confused by your post. DVD-Audio is a DVD disk with a high bitrate audio track..sans picture. Without the video you can pack all the wonderful music on there.

3. Joe Reinwald

Hi John,

Actually, I've confused myself as I'm rereading it. I guess my main question is, why bother with having a DVD-A player as a separate piece of hardware when the software really is nothing more than a standard video DVD without the picture.

-Joe

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Joe, are you suggesting DD or DTS as the format for music? The problem is those are highly compressed with a lossy algorithm and along with stereo PCM are the only audio formats available for DVD-V. Granted they could be recorded with less compression at a higher bitrate, but then there might be problems with compatibility for the DVD players and receivers. There's also an MPEG sound format that may be part of the spec for DVD, but its not used in the US so far as I've seen.

DVD-Audio uses Meridian Lossless Processing for compressing its high bitrate multi-channel audio. Its completely different than anything in the DVD-Video standard.

There are some 24/96 PCM recordings available on discs that are DVD-Video compliant. All they have is the audio, uncompressed, but its stereo only. These are typically referred to as DAD discs and play in all DVD players. Some downconvert the audio to 16/48 through the digital output, but all play accurately through the analog outputs.

5. Joe Reinwald

Wow, that's actually what I was looking for. Great job on taking my confusing, muddled question and answering exactly where I was heading!

Thanks,
    Joe

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

A further point:

DVD-A requires as part of the specification the inclusion of tracks which allow for playback of the disc on a DVD-V only player.

Oddly enough, the requirements for the DVD-V section (VIDEO_TS directory) are identical to the DVD-V specification.

That means either of:

A Linear PCM track, as high as 24bit/96KHz.
    DD 1.0 to 5.1 (minimum rate is (I think) 192K).

Optional for the DVD -V section is a DTS track.

The goal from day 1 was to have backwards compatibility with DVD-Video players on every DVD-A disc.

Regards,