why not use 2 cable modems, one upstairs one downstairs?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by TonyD, Jun 28, 2003.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    so. why not.
    i would like to use my upstairs pc as i use my downstairs as a way to connect to the internet, and other regular computer stuff.

so what would be wrong with buying 2 cable modems and just hooking them up to my cable internet.
    i have cable running through the entire house.

or should i really just think about wireless network to connect the 2 pc's?

if i do that i would have to find out exactly what i need and most cost effective(not real expensive). but i'll worry about wireless after i find out about the first question.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

you would need 2 IP addresses, which would cost at least $20/month extra from your ISP. Definately wire a network

3. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    yep, seemed too easy.

ok on to a wireless equipment, quest.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Buy a cheap router/firewall/wireless access point. There are several brands available, like a D-Link 614 or 624 or a Linksys BEFW11S4.

They will work as firewalls, which improves your security, as switches if you want to hook up more than one device via network cabling and provide a wireless access point via which you can both connect to the PC's that are wired to the router as well as any other wireless devices - and of course, to the Internet via the cable.

Once you have that you need to figure out how best to hook up your other machine to the wireless net. Your choices would be an internal PCI card or an external wireless bridge if you have a built-in network adapter in the machine and want to use that.

5. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

I have the D-Link 614. But, at work we have been getting the Linksys. I think both of them are good. Just stay away from the Netgear. I have a client that got one, and they are a pain to configure. Just my $.02

6. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    ok here's what i just got.

linksys befw11s4
    was on sale at bestbuy this weel for 70 after $10 instant rebate then a form for another 10 rebate.plus the customer coupon for 10%off the net will be abot $53 for the router.

and one

wusb11

50 after instant rebate then another $10 send in rebate. plus 10% coupon for a price of around $35.

so did i get the right stuff.

to use pc downstairs as main computer and the one upstairs as the other.

so i should be able to print from upstairs and use the internet from up too right?
    i should mention the pc up has windows 98 and the main has xp.

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

YOu don't need 2 ISPs unless you want them both online at once...

8. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Tony:

You SHOULD be able to share printers among the network. There's a setup wizard in XP that SHOULD take care of the setup for you. I have a printer upstairs that's on a network, and I can print without a hitch (most of the time) despite the fact that the printer isn't physically connected. You would have to set the particular printer on the network as the default for each computer, though.

9. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    ok now let me make sure i have what i need for 2 pc's.

i have 1 [​IMG] router from the main pc.

and one [​IMG] receiver for the pc upstairs.

is that what i need? i shouldnt have to use 2 of the reciever devices, one for each pc, should i?
    shouldnt the router be sending out the signal?

i ask because so far i have the main working very well with internet going.

i ran the network setup in windows xp.

but i still cant get the pc upstairs to find or do anything with the main.

10. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The router is where you hook up your internet to the WAN port and your main computer to one of its switch outputs. You probably need to run the setup on it to enable and configure the wireless connection as well as the settings for your ISP. You've done the ISP part, apparently.

Verify in the router setup that your wireless network is up and running. Enable WEP encryption to make it harder to eavesdrop on the wireless traffic by some dastardly hacker [​IMG] and if you want to make sure nobody else can use your wireless net, find out what MAC address that wireless receiver has. It should be written on it, a group of numbers and letters, grouped like this: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX

Finally, you need to install the software etc for the wireless receiver and configure that to match the WEP encryption on the router. Basically, when setting up the router, you set up a passphrase there of your choice, and make sure the receiver uses the same level of encryption and the same passphrase.

You also need to make sure the receiver is set up to use the same SSID as the router. The SSID is basically the name of your wireless network, and again this is something you can choose freely.

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

As an alternative if you're good with your hands you can run CAT5 to the 1st floor for a faster and more stable connection. It would be much cheaper also.

I print things all the time from my PC in the basement to the printer that's connected to the computer on the 2nd floor. Works without a hitch.