What's new

Why not release complete series sets first? (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Katherine is correct here.

There's no way we're going to see $15 seasons for Blue-ray/HD-DVD titles when the DVD sets are selling for $60. Keep in mind there are what....100,000,000 DVD players out there, and....10,000 HD-DVD players? It's a much, much smaller market, and since sales of TV-DVDs is small compared to movies, I think it'll be a long time before we see lots of shows jump to the HD formats. Yes, there will be some (starting with sci-fi, and a few other proven DVD sellers), but there's no way we'll see tons of sets being released like we are with DVD.

And to address the complete series box thing; the studios are able to package these and sell them because they've already paid for the content. We're not seeing the core discs changed because they're using the same masters as they used for the previous season sets. They're doing fancy packaging and a bonus disc because that's the cheapest "upgrade" they can do to entice people into rebuying the content they've already sold us, and at the low price they're going to find people that jump at the opportunity. If you bought the first couple of seasons of Six Feet Under then the complete series set for $215 (after discounts) makes a lot more sense than buying seasons 3, 4 and 5 for $233 (using Amazon's current prices). Now they've made more money, and they've sold a customer the same seasons twice. If you're a big fan of the show then you may consider selling your seasons 1-5 and buying this set, so they've just made more money.

As Joe pointed out, it doesn't make sense for them to invest all the time and money into producing the complete series of a show that may be a dud on DVD. You mentioned they could only produce these for shows they know will sell, but they don't always know what will be a hit. Who knew that Chappelle's Show and Family Guy would sell as well as they did, or that NYPD Blue would be at risk of getting pulled?

Gord

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, all. I've wondered about the impact of HD/BLU-RAY on the Std TV/DVD market (thinking that perhaps it would have an effect of decreasing/slowing down std releases). I know the HD thing is running on another thread but I wanted to add something to this one. I see the point on studios not releasing a complete series from the outset. There's just no predicting how these sets will do with the buyers as Gord said.

Brian D H

Second Unit
Good points.

Of course in 3-5 years we'll probably see the complete series that HAVE sold well being re-issued in HD discs just for the smaller packaging. The smaller packaging IS the bonus - no supplements required.

If you already bought "Buffy The-Complete-Series" for $150.00 you'll love the exact same content on fewer discs for another $99.99! And those who collected all 7 seasons of Star Trek TNG for about $100 each will love the same content in a smaller box of HD discs for $399.99! ;)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I'm all for complete seasons box-sets from the get-go, I hate the waiting game. If they're afraid of low sales release them in limited numbers, that'll get the hardcore fans out.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Absolutely not. Have you kept up on the debacles with any of the recent 2 disc special editions? Munich, Walk the Line, Jarhead...?

All that will succeed in doing is driving DOWN sales. If you don't have the product on the shelf, no one can buy it. Therefore, you make no money. These sets need to be available at BB, CC, Target, Meijer, Amazon, DDD...wherever for people to buy them. Limited numbers does two things:

1) creates instant demand and an instant profit, but no profit down the road because they are not available anymore;
2) creates ill will toward the studio that releases in limited numbers because some people may not be able to rush out at 8 am on release day to get their LE set. By the time they get out of work or get that next paycheck in the bank, they're all gone.

No no no no no.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Who cares about product down the road, give it to me now, just buy less (or nothing else) that month and you'll be alright. The titles you mention are movies, I'm talking TV shows. :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I would like to point out another perspective - quality.
It may not be an issue for newer series, where they can pretty much be put onto DVD as is, but with older shows like MASH and Mary Tyler Moore, the studio has to restore and get them into presentable shape before authoring the DVDs. To take on such a massive project as trying to prepare all 11 seasons of MASH in one project would be too big a bite to chew. You can be sure they would take shortcuts and skimp on quality. Committing to working on one season every six months is much more manageable and quality standards are more easily adhered to.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

limited edition complete series box sets aren't new. Buffy: The Chosen Collection or Freaks And Geeks: Yearbook Collection?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
While i can understand the logic of an entire series in 1 big boxset, it would take a while for me to afford it, i prefer season by season releases.They could do it both ways , have season by season releases , and also crank out big boxsets of entire series in less volume for those willing to buy a whole series right off the bat.

Shoottv

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Much has to do with royalty payments and the like. Contracts are renegotiated on a season by season basis and in a case like West Wing they might have to pay Rob Lowe a percentage of the package even for the seasons that he did not appear in if they boxed them together. Not to mention producers and even production companies often change over time and would be effected by multi season boxes.

John*D

Second Unit
At the very least...

The studios should offer current owners of the previous releases the option to purchase by mail/phone/online directly from the studio the packaging in and of itself and/or new content like bonus discs. IE: WB and the first Friends collector's box.

As for REpackaging releases, the studios should offer current owners of the previous releases the ability to purchase just the packaging (perhaps just the DVD inserts and slipcases, and not the cases if they want to keep costs down) like when a series goes from DIGIpaks to THINpaks...

Just a thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks