What's new

Why NOT powered towers? (1 Viewer)

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Ever since I bought my powered towers.... I have seen a lot of "why's?"
I have Polk RT2000i's (used to have the 1000i's) and simply love them. I run them with a Velodyne CT150. The RT's have an xover setting to 100hz...and I cross my vel at 60. This has been a tremendous improvement in my system. The 8's on the towers have a nice tight sound while my vel rounds out the lower end. My yammie lets me set both larg w/sub...
I have tried the system with my RT800i's wich I am using ro surround speakers and much prefer the powered towers as mains. One thing I realy like is during lower passages you get nice fluent bass with a tad of kick to it.. as where you would not other wise... Just my experiences in my room.
Now my bedroom HT has bookshelves and a sub... so both experiences I am familiar with..
Thomas
------------------
So far, So good, So what
Link Removed
http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

John H

Second Unit
Sure this is a preference. One member at this forum had a setup with Def Tech bp30's + external subs vs. Def Tech bp2000TL's + external subs, and he preferred the latter setup over the former setup...
I might be that member.
I used the original BP2000 as mains for several years with a pair of PF18's for LFE/SUB.
Sometime ago I experimented with using (highpassed at various points) BP30's for a few months.
I just couldn't get them to perform well in my room.
I have switched back to using a pair of BP2000TL's.
John
------------------
Link Removed

Hubert

Second Unit
I love mine and I wouldn't trade them for anything out there. It all comes down to sound and each person's preference. This is coming from a guy that used to have 5 identical speakers and two very large subs.
If you go to Dolby, they recommend that you have 5 full range towers and a LFE sub. So I guess it depends on what you want and whether you're happy.

Hubert

Second Unit
Well, I also use a Velodyne HGS-18 for LFE and bass below 30Hz. But again, I love my powered Def Tech BP3000s and my powered CLR-3000.

John H

Second Unit
Hubert,
What crossover point do you use on your C/L/R 3000?
I have my 3000 center channel signal running through a Paradigm X-30 highpassed at 80Hz. The lowpass feeds my BP2000's subwoofer sections LFE low level inputs which bypasses the 2000's internal crossovers. I do not use the 3000's 10" powered woofer section.
I am also feeding the 2000's full range low level inputs full range main signals.
I then lowpass all channels at 40 Hz through my pre/pro to a pair of HGS-18's with an Audio Control PCA on the signal.
As well as a synthesized pair of Buttkicker tactile transducers.
John
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by John H on October 05, 2001 at 10:45 AM]

Hubert

Second Unit
John, I have my CLR-3000 running down to 50Hz. I have the BP3000s running down 30Hz. All bass and LFE below that is routed to the Velodyne HGS-18 sub. I've been doing a little experimentine with the crossover point for the center. Right now I'm at 50Hz. I'm trying to let the CLR-3000 go as low as it can and still retain it's tightness and not be overdriven.
[Edited last by Hubert on October 05, 2001 at 04:44 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks