Why not bi-amp towers with samsom amp (or any pro-amp) ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tompkins, Mar 26, 2002.

1. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

What would be the reason why a person couldn't bi-amp their tower speakers with a samson sub amp(or any other pro amp) ? They have volume controls so gain isn't a problem plus they would do a kick-ass job controling your woofers in your towers. I haven't seen anybody doing this therefore I'm curious as to why not.

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

I am in the process of making speakers that will do this. 7 two ways with passive XO's, the front 3 actively XOed at 250Hz to 3 woofer cabinets.
    Using Crown amps on the woofers.
    I think you will find a few people do this, it just means more amps and active XO's, so it's less common if there is already a sub in the system to offload bass to.
    I am also building a large sub. Bass is my friend. [​IMG]
    BB

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Many pro amps are designed with durability as a priority, with sound quality secondary. Budget pro-gear especially is very often not nearly as clean as comparably priced consumer gear. I’ve seen people on this Forum try using the Samson amp for their mains and then come back saying it had a lot of “grain.”

Bottom line, any pro equipment for hi-fi use, especially budget gear, should be approached with caution. Make sure you have a generous return policy, preferably for a full refund. Or buy used gear that you can turn around for little of no loss.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor