What's new

Why No Unrated Monster's Ball? (1 Viewer)

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
The film must have really had you in its grip!

M.
I liked the movie when I saw it theatrically and I still like it now but I was up really late then had to wake up early to do stuff (Non DVD related).

Anyways to keep this on-topic I'll check out the Monster's Ball deleted scenes in awhile provided I can manage to stay awake.

And now.. Back to From Hell

Mark

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Watched the DVD Sunday night. I was actually quite surprised that the R version didn't get an NC17. It's not as controversial as the last scene in Requiem, but it certainly is raw. Damn good movie - Halle Berry deserved two Oscars IMO.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Lion's Gate need to do some homework on their releases. the Box states that the DVD has over "one hour of behind the scenes footage (it has a 4 minute featurette) and an "Anatomy of a Scene" documentary (it doesn't). And why they couldn't release the unrated cut alongside the "R" rated version is anyone's guess (presumably it has to do with double dipping the consumer).

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Lion's Gate need to do some homework on their releases. the Box states that the DVD has over "one hour of behind the scenes footage (it has a 4 minute featurette) and an "Anatomy of a Scene" documentary (it doesn't). And why they couldn't release the unrated cut alongside the "R" rated version is anyone's guess (presumably it has to do with double dipping the consumer).
Where does it say that there is over "one hour of behind the scenes footage". It certainly doesn't say that on my copy which for like the four hundredth time I received direct from the studio.

Here's what it says under "Amazing Special Features"

16x9 2.35:1 widescreen
5.1 Dolby Digital
Behind the Scenes Footage
Two Complete Audio Commentaries
Audio commentary by Marc Foster and Roberto Schaefer
Audio commentary by Halle Berry, Billy Bob Thorton with Marc Foster
Scoring the Film Featurette
Deleted Scenes

--

No mention of over an hour of behind the scenes footage or even this Anatomy of a Scene.

Ike

Screenwriter
(In some cases, they don't even bother trying to create a cut for an "R"-rating, which I believe is what happened with the theatrical release of L.I.E.)
Nope-as I was strolling through Blockbuster, I saw L.I.E. I thought that was weird, since I knew it was theatrically released NC-17. I figured I'd rent it, even as just an anomaly. Turned it over, and it was rated 'R'. So much for that....

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Nope-as I was strolling through Blockbuster, I saw L.I.E. I thought that was weird, since I knew it was theatrically released NC-17. I figured I'd rent it, even as just an anomaly. Turned it over, and it was rated 'R'. So much for that....
They didn't bother for the theatrical release, but they got an R for an edited version earlier this year just for the home video release. Artisan followed this same pattern for Requiem For A Dream. It might be relevant that while the theatrical distribution for L.I.E. was done by Lot 47, the video is being distributed by New Yorker, so perhaps the R cut was done at New Yorker's behest.
DJ

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Where does it say that there is over "one hour of behind the scenes footage". It certainly doesn't say that on my copy which for like the four hundredth time I received direct from the studio.
So did I, and mine says:
"Over one hour of behind the scenes footage"
It also mentions:
"IFC's Anatomy of a Scene"
Apparently there are two versions of the case. Not sure why you're getting so combative about this, but Julian's comment about the listing is correct. However, the DVD DOES include more material than he claims. The featurette about the score lasts eight minutes and 20 seconds!:D
BTW, am I the only one who really disliked this movie?

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Apparently there are two versions of the case. Not sure why you're getting so combative about this, but Julian's comment about the listing is correct. However, the DVD DOES include more material than he claims. The featurette about the score lasts eight minutes and 20 seconds!

BTW, am I the only one who really disliked this movie?
Hmm.. I guess there are two different versions of the case then. I'd be interested in seeing a scan of the back cover. The only thing I can think of is that because of Lions Gate discs are distributed through Columbia Tristar in Canada and Studio Home Entertainment in the states there are two different variants of the cover. The discs should be indentical though.

Colin, I'm assuming yours doesn't have the Columbia logo on the spine or the back cover and has no Canadian "18a" rating circle on the back.

Either way if I sounded combative it's just that I've been answering the same question over and over about this release and I was getting a bit frustrated. That and lack of sleep.

As for the film itself. I thought it was excellent. My friend Dan however thought it was terrible but then again he doesn't really like that sort of film.

Julian, Sorry if it seemed like I snapped back.

My copy also contains reference to the IFC Feature.
Here is a couple of scans of the back cover:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Alas, the extra features in question are not on the DVD.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As for the film itself. I thought it was excellent. My friend Dan however thought it was terrible but then again he doesn't really like that sort of film.
That's why my strong dislike of Ball surprised me. I normally DO like this kind of dark, intense effort, and I really wanted to like this sucker. However, I thought it was quite bad overall - it really didn't sit well, as it seemed forced, artificial and hackneyed to me...

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
After looking at the rear cover scans provided by Frank, I can indeed see that there are two versions of the back cover.

The Canadian version has quite a different back cover layout including some different still shots, a large image of Berry/Thorton which looks sort of like a movie poster.

Regardless. I was wrong. I wasn't really thinking when I posted things. I forgot about the fact that the cover could be slightly different due to the distribution paths Lions Gate titles take in the two countries. Oh well.

As for the features listed on the US cover that aren't on the disc or the Canadian cover. Perhaps these features will surface on the so called "International Version" that is supposed to come out in 2003.

Lions Gate really needs to improve their quality control because I've noticed minor problems with all their cover art which often list features as being included that aren't on the disc. On Tape it was the trailer, on Lantana it was deleted scenes and on both of them there was no mention of 16x9 enhancement.

However Monster's Ball (atleast the Canadian rear cover) appears to be a step in the right direction as the 16x9 enhancement is now mentioned and all the features listed appear on the disc. Perhaps my reminders to their marketing department paid off.

Anyways. I have some stuff to do now but it appears that we've cleared this issue up.

Mark

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Ike --

That was done for video. My observation was expressly limited to the theatrical release, which was unrated.

BTW, there are separate "R" and unrated releases of L.I.E. on DVD.

M.

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Adding to all of this fun, next week's best buy ad lists this release as a "2-Disc Set!"

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
The sound of one-cancelled pre-order rings in the air. (Its kinda like the inverse of a cash register cha-chinging shut). Add me to the list of people waiting for the end-of-year edition.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
In the UK we have not even had the cinema release yet ! its in the next couple of weeks, with the BBFC listing it as uncut (it has a runtime of 111m 30s).
The distributor is Entertainment (EiV) who have started rental windows on their non New Line titles (with Gosford Park) so a retail DVD may not appear here until around March / April 2003.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Monsters Ball list the Bonus Features "Over one hour of behind the scenes footage" &

"IFC's Anatomy of a Scene". Are these features hidden or something??? How can they list extra features on this dvd to entice someone to buy and not have the features on the dvd? Is there such a thing as truth in advertising?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It happens sometimes. Features change at the last minute when it's too late to reprint the cover. Sometimes the producers of the disc find that they can't get the rights to supplements they anticipated having. Sometimes it's just a flat-out mistake.

If you're dissatisfied, you should return the disc for a refund.

M.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
This is part of the frustration of the smaller Canadian market. It was even worse with LDs, since there was virtually no independant production up here, just imports of US releases (sometimes with stickers on 'em with the name of the Canadian distributor).

I recall in horror Miramax/Disney's LD of Exotica: while the film thankfully was not cut, the cover was brutal. It featured a woman who did not appear in the film, in a 'stripper pose' that was not from the film, wearing an outfit that no-one wore in the film. And the back cover mentioned Showgirls. Exotica won friggin' Genie awards, and Miramax compares it to Showgirls?? Arrrrrgh!

You can imagine my sigh of relief when Criterion picked up the rights to Crash for LD. I've heard that the R-version that can be found on VHS at Blockbuster is nearly incomprehensible, and very funny if you know the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.