What's new

Why No Unrated Monster's Ball? (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
Looking at the IMDB's Link Removed, Monster's Ball was originally rated NC-17, but was cut to R. Canada got the true version.
Why is this version not being released here? I know Lion's Gate has done some unrated DVD's.
Is there any version that is the NC-17 cut on DVD?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I know Lion's Gate has done some unrated DVD's.
I think they've only done that when, for whatever reason, the film was released unrated to theaters (e.g., Requiem for a Dream). AFAIK, the only version of Monster's Ball released in the U.S. was the R-rated.

I have to wonder how much could have been cut, because the version I saw was pretty raw.

M.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I think they've only done that when, for whatever reason, the film was released unrated to theaters (e.g., Requiem for a Dream). AFAIK, the only version of Monster's Ball released in the U.S. was the R-rated.
Another Lion's Gate release (with Universal in the U.S.), American Psycho, was released only as R-rated in U.S. theatres. On DVD in the U.S., however, it was released in both rated and unrated versions. But is this due to Lion's Gate or Universal...?
btw - Requien For A Dream was Artisan, not Lion's Gate.
DJ

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Requien For A Dream was Artisan, not Lion's Gate.
(slapping forehead!)

Arggh. My brain's obviously bleached from a sunny weekend. :b

Re: American Psycho: Since Universal released the disc and the release followed the same pattern they've used with other titles like American Pie, I suspect the dual versions were their call.

M.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I want this title so bad right now, but I actually think I'll wait until it shows up on DVD here just to get it uncut. This might take a long while since it was just released unto theaters. :frowning:

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
sooo... the version shown in Canadian THEATERS was the NC-17 version, if I understand correctly? Or is it the Canadian DVD that will carry the NC-17 version?

thanks

Ike

Screenwriter
sooo... the version shown in Canadian THEATERS was the NC-17 version, if I understand correctly? Or is it the Canadian DVD that will carry the NC-17 version?
According to the IMDB, Canada did get the director's intended version. I don't know about their DVD. I hope so, so I can import it.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I can answer this one.

Canada did get the cut of the film that would have received an NC-17 in the US. Basically it contained more of the Billy Bob/Halle Berry love scene and I believe the Heath Ledger prostitute scene was also a tad longer.

The US only got an "R" rated cut which trimmed what I've heard was two minutes.

As for the DVD. Lions Gate discs are the same in US and Canada the only difference is who handles the distribution. Trimark/Studio Home Entertainment in the US and Columbia Tristar. The content of the discs is indentical.

That said the only version being released on DVD is the R rated cut.

This is direct quote from an email from my source at Lions Gate

As for Monster's Ball, believe it or not the unrated version (the one that you saw) will not be available on the DVD. We will be reissuing a new version of the DVD at the end of the year (or thereabouts) and will include it on that version. Having said that, the release on June 11th will have some fantastic features including a Production Commentary with the Director Marc Forster & Director of Photography Roberto Schaefer, Production Commentary with Director Marc Forster, Billy Bob Thorton & Halle Berry, Deleted Scenes and a "Making of the Music" featurette.
So it appears that there might be a reissue of the DVD later in the year that will contain that cut. Untill that release has been announced officially then we'll have to make due with the R rated cut. Sadly this means the version on DVD will be different then what I saw in theaters up here in Canada.

Hope this clears things up,

Mark

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
This probably doesn't address the question at hand, but I also think one issue is that you can't release something as "unrated" if it has, indeed, been rated. Something that was submitted to the MPAA and got "NC-17" on it can't then just be released as "unrated" to avoid that rating.
Unless I significantly misunderstand how that all works, which I wouldn't rule out. :)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
This probably doesn't address the question at hand, but I also think one issue is that you can't release something as "unrated" if it has, indeed, been rated. Something that was submitted to the MPAA and got "NC-17" on it can't then just be released as "unrated" to avoid that rating.
Monster's Ball never officially received an NC-17. A film distributor does not have to accept a rating from MPAA/CARA. For example, Artisan refused to accept an NC-17 for Requiem For A Dream and released it theatrically unrated (although they later re-submitted an edited version for an R rating for video release).
DJ

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Something that was submitted to the MPAA and got "NC-17" on it can't then just be released as "unrated" to avoid that rating.
This may be empty formalism, but usually the MPAA tells the studio in advance that cuts have to be made to avoid an NC-17. This gives the studio the option to withdraw that cut from the ratings procedure before a rating has actually been applied. They can then resubmit an edited version to obtain an "R" rating, while still keeping the original cut as "unrated". (In some cases, they don't even bother trying to create a cut for an "R"-rating, which I believe is what happened with the theatrical release of L.I.E.)

M.

M

MaxY

Robert,
Actually releasing something as unrated is for the most part just as bad as NC 17.

The Big problem comes when you try to get theaters to show it. As theaters stopped owning their own land and often even their own buildings it has become increasingly common for theaters (Especially those linked to malls) to have a lease that says they are not allowed to show movies unless they are rated and nothing more then an R rating as well.

So while you could turn around and release something as unrated, it does not really get you much better then an NC-17 does in the way of theaters that can show it or that will show it.

I remember back aways it was common for some older theaters that were not faced with these leases to show movies as NR or UR because they were to extreme to get an R rating.

Max

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Actually releasing something as unrated is for the most part just as bad as NC 17.
The Big problem comes when you try to get theaters to show it. As theaters stopped owning their own land and often even their own buildings it has become increasingly common for theaters (Especially those linked to malls) to have a lease that says they are not allowed to show movies unless they are rated and nothing more then an R rating as well.
It seems that at least in the case of Y Tu Mama Tambien they have avoided a lot of the NC-17 restrictions by releasing it unrated. It is playing in a large number of New York area theaters, including numerous big chain megaplexes, Loews/Sony & AMC included. According to Peter Bart in a recent Variety article it is also being advertised in outlets that normally ban NC-17 advertising.
It should also be noted that many "small" foreign/art films never bother to submit their films for a rating even if they obviously would have garnered a G or PG rating. Any theater baring such a film on grounds that it was not rated would at the very least look quite silly.
To get back on topic -- what about about Region 2/4 Monster's Ball DVDs -- presumably those would be uncut??
Ted

Kevin Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
Would these deleted scenes on the R-rated DVD contain the "extended" scenes cut for the R-rated Theatrical version?
Just a thought.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Would these deleted scenes on the R-rated DVD contain the "extended" scenes cut for the R-rated Theatrical version?
That's a good question. I doubt it but I'll check out the disc in an about an hour or so. I have to finish watching From Hell first as it seems I fell asleep during right after the layer switch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.