Why no "text-TV" in the USA?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Apr 18, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I don't know what the english term for it is, but in Swedish it's called "Text-TV". It's basically like a crude version of WWW, and pretty much every TV-station has it's own "channel" for it (if you get the channel, you get the text). No special equipment or subscription is needed for it, and you navigate using page numbers.
    It's mostly used for news, information about TV-shows and personal/classified ads.
    Here's a screenshot from such a page (this is a news page):
    [​IMG]
    I think this system is used in other countries in Europe too, England and Germany at least.
    How come it's not used in the US? it's very convenient, actually.
    /Mike

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

They tried this out in the US more than 10 years ago- Zenith TVs had the decoders built in but I could never find an external decoder. It showed up as a snow-like pattern in the vertical interval if you had a TV that would let you see that.

The closed-caption system has 4 channels of scrolling text also, where almost the entire screen is blacked out and text appears on it (I think Teletext was somewhat interactive but this isn't), but hasn't been used for over 15 years- I have some old tapes from ABC and on Text Channel 1 they would show a listing of all closed-captioned shows for the week, and channel 2 had a variety of stuff- for a while it had news about the National Captioning Institute, during the 1985 Live Aid concert it shows sports scores. ABC hasn't had anything at all on either text channel in recent years though- if you turn Text on and there's nothing there, it will just black out the screen and show nothing.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Jesse, yeah I think Teletext is what it's called in England, I found this website about it: http://www.teletext.co.uk/
    I have noticed that the Closed Captioning looks similar to Teletext, and teletext is what's used for Closed Captioning in Sweden.
    It came out in Sweden some time in the 80's, and was a big sucess. Do you know why it wasn't a success in the US?

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I don't see the attraction to something like this. I have never heard of it though. As far as show information with digital cable we get a cool viewing guide with show info. As far as news i just flip to cnn or headline news for the tickers. For weather there is weather channel. If I want local news we have a local news channel.

5. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

My cable system has something like this. There is a little icon that pops up on the screen and you can click on it for info/facts related to the current program. There are some interactive features also. I was watching a commercial for some SUV a little while ago and the icon popped up with a cation asking about your opinions on the vehicle.

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer