What's new

Why no seperate fullscreen editions in UK? (1 Viewer)

JoeJ

Agent
First of all, I do like films in their OAR, and I would choose that option if applicable and possible. However, I find it interesting that the USA has seperate widescreen and fullscreen editions whilst the UK doesn't. Does anyone know why the UK doesn't get two editions the same except in picture frame?

And please don't reply with posts like "coz Americans are stupid" or the like, as that won't answer my question. :)

Ike

Screenwriter
Probably because 16x9 sets were adopted earlier in Europe.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Simple answer - unless you are buying a tiny portable TV, widescreen TVs are the norm in the UK (and now, incidentally, plasma/LCD is rapidly overtaking CRT). Thus, there is little need for fullscreen versions of discs. In addition, the majority of people who still have fullscreen TVs are likely to be technophobes who are highly unlikely to have DVD players. Thus, there is little need for fullscreen discs.

Also, generally and very surprisingly, UK tastes in consumer electronics are ahead of the USA. Video players, bagless vacuum cleaners, front loading washing machines, widescreen TVs etc were all standard in the UK long before the USA caught up.

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator
As others have said above, widescreen was welcomed across Europe long before most other continents, so people have had a chance to become used to it. That, combined with the fact that the market in such a small country as the UK simply cannot support as many products on the shelves as America - there simply isn't the room and simply isn't the amount of potential custom, so the distributors probably have to make a choice - widescreen or fullscreen, one or the other.

It is also interesting to note that, whilst some very high profile films did get a widescreen and fullscreen release, the sales figures were, by all accounts, very much swayed in favour of the widescreen versions - both Fellowship of the Ring and The Philosopher's Stone got a fullscreen releases, but, within a few months, they could be found for around £5 in bargain bins because no-one was buying them. The sequels in both those franchises were released only with widescreen discs, probably as a direct result of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks