Why no one tries this with SVS subs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Anyway, I was looking at possibly building my own speaker or purchasing an SVS 2039cs. The negative with the SVScs is that I would have to purchase an amp as well as a crossover which boosted the price a little. I was looking around in Parts Express and noticed that they have a 150 watt sub amplifier that many of the DIY'ers tend to like and it's going for only $89.00. The best part is that you also get the control features that comes with the most subs as well.
    What I would like to know is although I'm sure that some may have used this approach, why more people don't reccommend this way of powering your SVS sub. An amplifier with a built in crossover and more goodies for $89.00 is hard to pass up.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Martice,
    I think that's an excellent idea as long as you build a small box to put the plate amp in. As a matter of fact, I built two matching sealed subs and put both of my plate amps in a small enclosure with binding posts on one side to connect the speaker cables to. Works great!
    Brian

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

That's what I thought Brian. I'm looking at a price of $589 incl. shipping for a 2039cs and one 150 watt amp with control features to boot. For savings like this I'd chop down a tree to build a box.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Although it will work fine I think the amps that SV uses are better quality plate amps then the PE ones. Also the PE ones have the built in boost that isn't designed for in the SV subs. You can disable the boost though and 150 watts will still rumble the SVS's quite nicely. From what I've read the PE plate amps are pretty well built and have lots of power to boot.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Also, I'm not sure but I think the PE amp has a built in boost. You want to make sure that you can disable this (or see if they'll do it for you, but I doubt it). If not, look at another amp. I think they do have one without a boost but don't remember which one.
    If not, you could always buy the PSA1 plate amp from Subwoofers.com (I have two of these). It has a toggle switch to defeat the boost. It is rated at 200W into a 4 ohm load and sells for $169. This is basically the same amp that Madisound sells but with the boost defeat switch (which the Madisound amp does not have).
    Brian

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Don't forget that the 300-794 at PE is on special at $125 instead of it's regular $200. You'll have to ask on the PE forum, but I remember someone saying that the units they are shipping now don't have the 6db boost at 30hz. Even if they do the mod on it is supposed to be reasonably easy and PE forum guys will tell you everything you need to know to do it.
    $125 for a 0-180 continously variable phase control, 40-160hz continously variable low pass filter, fixed high pass at 125hz, 250 watts at 4 ohms, left and right channel line and speaker level inputs and outputs, on/auto on off/ off toggle switch
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

We actually have quite a few individuals using an external plate amp to power our CS series. As noted, with the recent pricing drops in these types of amps...you can end up with a very cost effective path to SVS bass.
    I recommend putting the amp in a simple box though...just to make sure no prying fingers/paws can touch anything that might shock them on the back of the plate.
    TV

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I've recommended the #300-800 a few times. It's really excellent, and the boost is very easy to remove completely. It's also got an input which bypasses the internal crossover, which is useful.
    I know little about amp design, but that amp has two 10,000 mf caps for just the one channel, which is the same capacitance as my entire Onkyo 575x 5-channel amp. Seems to result in a very powerful little amp. It's made by Proton, fwiw.For $85, it's a no-brainer.
    The 250 watt PE model is also very good, I'm using one on a sealed 12" at the moment. Solid amp.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Another very cost effective amp option is the fidek FPA400 amp at MCM.(1-800-543-4330).
    200w per channel into 4ohm...$199.00
    Match that with dual 25-31s and for $899(?) you got one hellishish subwoofer system!
    TV

10. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

Sp do you literally make a"box" out of wood and attach the plate directly? Also how do you go about dismantling the bass boost??
    -B

11. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Brian,
    Parts Express can tell you the procedure to disable the boost. And 5 min. with the amp in front of you should allow you to design a simple wooded "shoebox" that will accept the amp.
    It' won't be pretty (maybe) but it'll work great.
    Ron

12. Brian Fineberg

Great this is the way I am going instead of the KLH reciever.
    (unless you thinh the opposite is better i.e. going with the klh)

13. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

Brian - I got the PE amp and 20-39 yesterday (ordered I mean) I went with that amp for a couple of reasons, auto-on, no fan (as with the Fidek amp) noise, cost, power. Looks of the wooden box for the amp don't bother me since it'll be hidden behind my TV & rack anyway. Fan noise would be a problem for me. One of the things I love best about DD and DTS is that when it is silent in the movie, there is NO SOUND in home theater - no hiss, nothing.
    If it were me I'd do the PE amp over the KLH - the bass boost defeat seems very easy, there are detialed instructions at the bottom of the page profiling the amp at PE's site and from what they said it comes with all of the various resistors I'll need to defeat the boost. All I've got to provide is a soldering gun.
    I can't wait!!

14. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Geeze, I feel so extravagant.Right now I'm driving the CS Ultra with a single channel from a Cinepro 3k6 Series III for about 650w of really clean power.
    Tom and Ron: I can't clip the Cinepro channel, and I haven't yet bottomed out the driver on the Ultra. Should I go for a bridged 3K6 to see if the sub cries at 1.25kw? Hee Hee Hee.
    IMO, there's no substitute for power in a subwoofer, well except for More Power! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

15. Brian Fineberg

Is that chart to show the benefits of removing the boost or how to do it? could you explain how to remove it or should I ask partsexpress?

16. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

17. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer