Why no mention of The Transporter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Spindler, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Am I the only one aware of this film? Ever since catching the trailer I got really excited to see it.
    Now, as should be abundantly clear, this is purely fantastical action film. So I would expect that this will be in the running with xXx for the credibility awards. But it looks to have style, and I have enjoyed Jason Statham through his Guy Ritchie films (and even his other minor roles). Plus, it has Luc Besson's involvement which is typically a good thing.
    Trailer
    Or am I just a movie whore that will see and like anything? [​IMG]

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I only saw the trailer about a month ago, but I did mark it down on my "I'll see that" list. Looks like a pretty slick action movie.

Of course, I know I'm a movie whore who will at least see anything.

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Your not alone, I really want to see this one!
    Ever since I saw the trailer on E! i've been excited about it, it looks just plain cool.
    And with Luc Besson it can't miss.
    I especially get jazzed at that shot of the guy running to the door peephole and kicking the door, that shot rocks! [​IMG]
    Who's the cute Asian girl who plays the girl in the trunk? She's fine! She looks like Ming Na.

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

When I first saw it I thought it was China Chow. With The Big Hit behind her I thought she was typecasting herself as a kidnapped asian girl who falls in love with her captor. [​IMG]
    Turns out her name is Qi Shu, and she has a whirlwind of asian films under her belt (40 films since 1996!)

5. Felipe S

Felipe S Stunt Coordinator

If it's got action... I'm there. [​IMG]
    [edit]
    If it's got mindless action... I'm also there [​IMG]

6. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

Looks pretty cool but I gotta disagree on that peephole shot. That was one part of the trailer that had me howling with laughter. How the hell did Jason Statham ring the doorbell and then we see him running from out into the yard and doing some funky ass kick and kicking a huge wooden door off its hinges. I'll probably still go see it though because some of the action does look pretty sweet.

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Duane,
    the lack of logic in that shot is kinda what I like about it. It's like DING DONG "AVON calling." and BAM! [​IMG]

8. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

Duane, if you see the long trailer, you'll see that there is quite and bit of time between the door bell ringing and Stratham kicking it off the hinges. Watching the long trailer, to me, it was enough time to ring the doorbell, run out to the yard and then run back by the time Mr. Henchman answered the door.

After that you just have to believe that a 210 lb man could kick a door like that off it's hinges.

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I don't know about you, but that shot alone sold me on the movie. Perfect pacing and a wonderful play on the (now tired) knock and shoot a gun through the peephole concept. It just looks so cool and funny that I think the movie will be a winner.

10. Joshua FS

Joshua FS Auditioning

I hope that some of Luc Besson's odd and light hearted sense of humor makes an appearence or two. That was a big part of way made 5th Element so satisfying.

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Had not even heard of this film until a week ago when I saw a trailer for it on TV. There is a not-so-great review of it on AICN somewhere.

It looks like fun to me...

Jason

12. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Could it be that this movie is sort of an English Language remake of Taxi?

13. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Yes Yes! This will be a good Luc Besson movie. I like his style. Unfortunately I will not be able to go because I won't be able to convince my wife to go. So here's to hoping that it does very well at the box office and goes to DVD sooner than expected.

14. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Last I was told, the release date has been pushed into October. Plus, you realize Luc Besson is not directing this, right?

15. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

The action scenes are very cool, but the story is really bad. I won't go into spoilers. I really wanted to like this movie more than I did. I still haven't figured out how a car can jump over the side of the bridge, the way his did. Overall, great action/fight scenes. Poor story & some bad acting in parts. The print I saw didn't have the scene where he deflects the rocket with the dinner tray.

16. Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Went to a sneak preview of this movie and I too hoped it would be good since it has Jason Statham in it and I loved Snatch and Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Bottom line is this movie SUCKED, It started out as a possible good Thief movie moved into a Bond type movie then became a Kung-Fu action, and evolved into some sort of love story. Dont waste your hard earned cash, Go buy Snatch if you dont already own it.

17. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

The Transporter is all right but nothing I'd be rushing out to see. It has some inventive fight/chase sequences, but they're hardly worth the price of admission. The story definitely could use some work, and the female lead's performance was painful to watch and hear. You could do worse, but you could do a lot better too.

18. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

First off, let me say that I'm a HUGE Luc Besson and Jason Statham fan, so please take that into consideration. Second, I thought the idea of taking the character and concept of the BMW films starring Clive Owen, and turning it into a feature could be awesome fun. Needless to say, I wanted very much to be able to say that this was a great movie. It's not. It's not good, it's not bad--it's worse: it's inexcusably lazy.

After an entertaining openening sequence--and I even gave the bridge-hopping stunt (that Jay Rodriguez referred to above) the benefit of the doubt--the movie just goes downhill. It goes to great pains to establish the professionalism of Statham's "Transporter" character, then proceeds to undercut it completely once the pitiful excuse for a story begins. The fight sequences are merely average, although there is one notably creative and original scene involving lots of motor oil. I think Statham deserves better and Luc Besson, who co-wrote the movie, should have known better. The movie is filled to the brim with inexplicable loopholes of logic and continuity and the final third is very nearly unwatchable because of this.

On top of everything else, whoever the decision-maker was for the music used in this flick should be shot. It's a mixture of overdone hip-hop and overripe and cheesy instrumentals.

The negative reviews of this movie are SPOT ON. Run--don't walk--from this movie.

19. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

I'm not sure if this has already been adressed or not, but, I too was excited to see this film when I saw the trailer, until I found out that it was going to rated PG-13![​IMG] I for one, hate it when they have to water down or dilute action movies like this to suit the "teeny-bopper" crowd! Just my two cents.[​IMG]

20. NickFoley

NickFoley Stunt Coordinator

Cant wait till this comes out. [​IMG]