Why no center sound in multi channel?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brad Newton, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

What could be the problem? I have the center channel turned on in the dvd player setup (Pioneer 45A) & I selected multi channel in on the receiver. What gives? The center works correctly in digital, but not analog

2. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

Are you refereing to the 6ch analog out on the 45A for DVD-A and SACD? I have a few DVD-A's and SACD's that do not use the center channel...even though the player says 3/2.1 in the display.

3. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

yes, that is my question/problem.
    I believe that is my problem with this disc. I inserted a dvd-a & had sound from the center channel.

do you have the 45a player? You get this display during sacd and/or dvd-a playback?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Like Mike alluded to, some SACD/DVD-A mixes don't use the center channel, and rely on the stereo imagining to produce the vocals in the center.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

It would help if you mentioned the title of the disc. MC mixing is all over the map.

BGL

6. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

Yes, I have the Pioneer 45A and run it through an Outlaw ICBM. I have noticed that I still get an indication from the player that there should be info on the center channel from the 3/2.1 display. Maybe the machine is recognizing the existence of the bit stream/channel...but the sound engineer has elected to put nothing on it....I don't know. You probably do not have a problem.

7. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

How do you get this display on the face of the dvd player? Or is it on the display of the receiver?