What's new

Why no better release? "On The Waterfront" and others... (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Here is a puzzle - at least to me.

There has been tons of lesser titles that have received upgrades as far as DVD releases (remastered, cleaned up, etc) but why hasn't two of the top movies in history, both winners of Best Picture of the year and both "still" have old transfers on DVD? ...

"On The Waterfront" and "The Best Years of our Lives".

Any plans for Sony and MGM working on these obviously underappreciated titles?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Apparantly the transfer of On The Waterfront included in the Columbia Best Pictures Collection is brand new.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The next time this is released, I think I'll be buying it on Blu-ray and finally in it's OAR.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Robert... fine for those who are BluRay fanatics but I have no desire to purchase one anytime soon until the discs come down to match regular DVD prices, even the discounted prices. Only "then" I may take the plunge and when the players are as cheap to buy as regular DVD players ($20-$50). I paid $300 for my first player... no more. The last 3 follow-up players (including portible) have all been well under $100.

Eric

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It has nothing to do with being Blu-ray fanatics as this format is becoming mainstream whether you buy into it or not.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Not to use an old and now overly used phrase... The average Joe Six-Pack (which would include me) have no desire to buy BluRay right now especially with such a soft economy (pinching pennies) and having already spent a lot of money on standard DVD collections. Currently I have about $28,000 worth of DVDs in my collection. Do you think anyone in their right mind would want to re-purchase all of that to "upgrade" to BluRay? For me it is all about bargains and I buy a LOT of used DVDs to save money and try to stay between $1 to $10 per disc and have been quite successful and hope to continue doing do. But what I am getting at is that in the circles I travel in, BluRay isn't even part of their vocabulary and I haven't seen it pushed in stores around here so how "mainstream" is that?

Eric

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Still, the bottom line here is that two great movies have still to be restored properly and have had quite a few years to do it in. Not even a Sony "Remastered in High Definition" release as they normally do or MGM/Warner cleaning up "The Best Years.." though they have done so on Public Domain titles since these releases !?!?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eric,
Why would you have to repurchase all of them. I have about 4200 SD DVDs and a little more than 300 BRDs. I don't repurchase all of my SD DVDs and many of them would most likely never make it onto BRD or at least not for many years. By the way, I still buy SD DVDs, but I'm just more careful on which titles I buy in that video format. Also, like you wanting another SD DVD release of "On the Waterfront", why would I repurchase that again on SD DVD when I can get a BRD with an improved audio and video presentation over my 2001 SD DVD?

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I agree with you Eric.

I don't watch modern cinema. DVD has not yet offered the variety of catalog titles that VHS did, and Blu-Ray isn't even coming close to offering the number of catalog titles that DVD does. So for me, Blu-Ray is just a brother to the laserdisc, and we know that Joe Sixpack never embraced that format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, BRD is a brother of SD DVD, but sooner or later, high definition will over take SD presentations because there is no going back. It might take 10 years, but it's going to happen one way or another via discs and/or downloads.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I hear what you are saying Robert and know that the players will play SD. But until the players become "standard" overtaking regular DVD or come down drastically in price, then I will stick with my SD player and discs. On another note, I watched a Bluray on a 720p HD set and I wasn't overly impressed compared to the picture of a SD disc.

I know there has been other "wars" in the past such as Betamax over VHS and various variations to DVD such as the 48-hour self destruct discs, or the DIVX rental system, and those mini discs... none took off so you add another layer of skepticism there for new buyers.

Eric

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When I read comments like yours, I wish I can show you a "A" versus "B" comparison of Casablanca on my 1080p set with the new BRD versus the latest SD DVD release of Casablanca. It's not even close.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I wasn't interested in the jump to Blu-ray until I replaced my 65" 7 year old RPTV with a 67" LED DLP 1080p set, then purchased a Blu-ray player.

I didn't even realize that the OAR of "On the Waterfront," one of my top five favorites, was not 4:3.

I have close to 1,000 DVDs, all but three (Goodfellas, Band of Brothers, and Wall-E) are SD. At my wife's suggestion, mostly because of limited storage space, "we" are no longer buying DVDs, but using Netflix which offers Blu-ray discs. But I will replace "On the Waterfront" with a Blu-ray version when it is released.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am sure it would look great. I remember years ago lusting after a 54" Mitsubishi rear projection that had a picture so clear and minus any resolution dots even less that a foot away, it was like you could walk into the picture BUT it also cost almost $4,000 where other sets like it were about $1,200. Heck, even these 1080p sets show dots close up. It is a matter of economics and like you said, it may take 10-years to catch on but with the way things change - a LOT can happen within 10-years.

As far as downloading... I am still on dial-up. How long would it take to download a 300 Gig file on 56K ?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Anything less than even standard DVD quality would be a worthless download to me unless it was a movie not available any other way.

Eric

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Why is it that I have seen quite a few people state that after they marry their "wives" tell them what to do and that leads to getting rid of their DVD collections or stop purchasing? Have men lost their backbone or simply didn't research compatibility other than in bed? If it is a matter of storage, you can always either switch standard cases for slim cases and save the artwork somewhere else or even place them in Case Logic type storage. No reason to simply stop or ditch years worth of effort and enjoyment.

Eric

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Gee Joe, I have around 2,000 and all are in one corner of my bedroom in a professional bookcase unit in their original cases. Of course the master bedroom is about 30 feet x 30 feet square and 10 foot ceiling. You must have a tiny place? I would think you could get 1,000 discs in an area the size of a suitcase if in Logic storage?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

I just looked up the OAR on IMDB and found it's 1.85. Like you, I'd never realized that! I originally saw it in the cinema in the late 60's and I suppose it must have been shown in 1.85 then, but somehow I've always thought of it as an Academy ratio film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks