What's new

Why no 2-Disc Special Editions of Predator and The Rock in U.S? (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Why is a 2-disc special edition DVD of Predator available in R2, but we don't have one here in the United States? From the specs, it sounds like a pretty cool SE and I wish we could get it over here. Does anyone know why we are stuck with the bare bones edition and if anyone has seen it, is the picture quality is better on the R2 release than the U.S. release? I also noticed there is a 2-disc SE of The Rock available in R2 that has a lot of bonus materials that aren't available in the U.S. Criterion Collection release. Is there a planned release for a new SE version of The Rock over here and has anyone seen the R2 disc? Are there any other good action movies that currently have a Special Edition R2 release, but not one in the United States?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
The same reason Silence of the Lambs had a Criterion version, but they did a new 2-disc Special Edition. All of the bonus materials on the R2 version are different than the Criterion release so I was wondering if there are plans to release a SE similar to the R2 version over here.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Damin,

You're right. I was totally wrong about The Rock's R2 release. I don't know what I was thinking about when I read the list of special features and compared it to the Criterion version, but they are the same. OK, ignore that and just focus on the Predator R2 release(which I know is different than the U.S. version).

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Are the specs of the R2 special edition of The Silence of the Lambs the same as those of the R1 MGM SE?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There have been 2 Predator releases. Basically not enough time has passed, and I'm sure Fox probably wishes to tie in its US release with the Alien vs Predator movie that's forthcoming

MikeHughes

Agent
I own the german 2-Disc release. Sound and picture quality haven't improved that much compared to the former release. the bonus material isn't exactly impressive. :)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
R2 UK : Put me down as a fan of the text commentary, and the reasonable documentary.

It's not a bad release at all, IMO.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
If the Rock 2 disc version is the same in both regions except one if Criterion. I'm curious then what Criterion actaully did do? Isn't this the same situation for Armaggedon as well? Really, they just add their name and a 60 buck price tag?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
If the Rock 2 disc version is the same in both regions except one if Criterion. I'm curious then what Criterion actaully did do? Isn't this the same situation for Armaggedon as well? Really, they just add their name and a 60 buck price tag?
Well, all Criterion did was create those features. Criterion first developed them for their original laserdisc releases. The extras were licensed from Criterion by Disney for European DVD release years later.

DJ

R4 Australia:Both sound mixes on this version sound great and the making of's are excellent. Also did they edit out the stick around sequence in the R2 UK version cause they have it uncut on the R4 version.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
The R2 UK Special Edition version is complete and uncut.

Earlier R2 UK barebones release was cut to an almost ridiculous extent.

Dave-Q-H

Agent
Hi

in case anyone is interested, the 2 disc R2 Rock is the criterion version in different packaging - the menus say 'the criterion collection' on them - not bad for £7.99 :)

also, the R2 Predator has the same transfer as the R1 ver - the current R1 DTS version will do me until the eventual (hopefully) 5 star Ed.

PS - Hi guys, i'm quite new here!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The 5-star line has been canned by Fox, but they will still put the excellence into the work done, just on't be called 5-Star

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks