why my Denon 3802 sounds WEAK in stereo mode??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by umit, Oct 13, 2002.

1. umit

umit Extra

At least i upgraded from a DPL amp to a Dolby digital-DTS amp. Denon 3802 is a decent receiver. It's great in DD or DTS mode in movies. But somehow it sounds LIFELESS, POWERLESS in stereo or direct mode when i'm listening music. It has clear and detail. but lack of power. My 20 year old pioneer SA-950 stereo amp. was better than this. Why is that? i read very good reviews about 3802's stereo sound in some magazines like Home entertaintment or Home Cinema Choice. But sound don't satisfies me. Am i doing something wrong with the connections?? Can any Denon 3802 owner give me some advice for the proper setup? İ use Profigold interconnect RCA and optical cables. İ hooked up my Def Tech 2006TLs with that cable from speakers LFE out to Denon's subwoofer input. I tried almost every reciever settings from the amp. but still sounds weak. Even in the headphone i can understand it. That's the Same headphone that i use with my old amp. (Pioneer SA 950).

any tips + advice?? maybe i'll need ext. amp...

thanks already...

2. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

I probably am not much help here - I have not had anything like you describe. I have had quite a few amps over the years and cannot describe the 3802 as lifeless. It truly doesn't lack power.

It is what some call 'warm' in the way it handles the higher frequencies (but in my experience you have to strain to find that difference).

There are still some settings in Direct and Stereo that may affect the sound. I can only suggest that you revisit those effect setups and see if changes there help.

It may well be a defective reciever. If speakers and headphones were fine before, I doubt that is the culprit. Further, unless there is some really significant ohms mismatched, I would not pay real close attention to someone saying you are not matching the reciever to your speakers.

Good luck...

3. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

You sound like you are needing more bass?

4. umit

umit Extra

Not exactly.. My Def Tech BP2006 TLs are giving me all the bass i need.. i'm talking about depth, dynamic, solid sound. Maybe my complain is the Denon's characteristic 'warm' sound which i'm not accustomed much...

one more thing..

In 3802’s manuel 'connecting the pre-out jacks' section, denon says: 'Use these jacks if you wish to connect external power amplifier(s) to increase the power of the front, center and surround channel or FOR CONNECTION TO POWERED LOUDSPEAKERS'

So my question is: how do you connect a powered loudspeaker (like BP 2006TL) to this pre-out jack? My speaker has only one LFE out already connected to Denon's Subwoofer jack. Is this the best way? or am i missing something?

thanks for the replies..

5. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

Look in the DefTech manual. If memory serves, you can run an RCA from one to the other (master/slave), then to the Denon. You can also run a Y cable out of each speaker & a Y into the Denon. You are dealing with a mono signal anyway. You can also drop the RCA's & hook them up like normal speakers. You won't have the tweakability factor this way though.

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If you have the space, you might try repositioning the speakers(maybe move them out into the room more and away from objects like walls, the TV, or an entertainment center).

What kind of source component are you using?

DJ

7. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

That has been my Denon experience too. I got around it by upping the tone controls. Cant do it though in Direct mode so I never used that mode. Denons seem to have more of a neautral(boring)sound to them. I prefer HK. Night and day for music.

8. Patrick TX

Do you only have ONE speaker LFE'd in to the Denon? You need to take an RCA from the LFE OUT on one to the LINE IN on the other, THEN go LFE out of that one to the Denon. That's the way my old DT powered towers were ran. If you are not doing that, all you are getting is 1 powered 8" woofer.

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

umit, when listening to stereo music (i.e. cds), try boosting the bass and treble about 4dbs each. I am not sure what the Denon tonal controls map to as far as a frequency curve but if they are centered at 100Hz for bass and 10Khz for treble then give this a try and see if it helps. It's been my experience that the perception of the low and high end drop off when listening at low or moderate levels. This could be described as being a flat sound. This won't work in direct mode since the Denon bypasses the tonal controls most likely. Other than that, speaker positioning and trying either another pair of speakers or another receiver are the most straight forward options to try.

good luck,

--tom

11. Patrick TX

Or, he could hook them up right...

12. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

13. Patrick TX

I had the same speakers almost (2004), with a lesser unit than a 3802 driving them. They sounded great. He MAY have a bad Denon, it happens. He said that he had ONE RCA going from 1 speaker to the Denon. NOT GOOD, and incorrect. He needs to daisy chain the speakers via speaker 1 RCA LFE out to speaker 2 LINE IN. Then, speaker 2 LFE out to the Denon. He could also y cable each one, then y cable the Denon. Same difference. OR, he could forgo the RCA's, and hook them up with some good 12ga wire, telling the Denon that there is no sub. The tweak factor is gone that way though.

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I owned a Denon 3300 for about 1 week and then returned it. The words that come to mind are "lifeless" and "cold". I had been using a DPL Sherwood Newcastle receiver that I loved, but bought the Denon when I wanted to step up to DD/DTS. Big mistake. So I returned it and purchased the Sherwood Newcastle DD/DTS receiver. I'll never buy another Denon receiver (unless it's for HT only).

Brian

15. Patrick TX

I would agree 100% with your post. I was not impressed one bit by the sound. I had to go see what all the fuss was with it. I'm guessing people must be referring to it's processing capabilities? I even thought the 4802 was nothing to write home about in 2 channel mode. I was SHOCKED at how much it was! Now, the 5803 was nice, as was the $$$$$$. HOLY COW.

16. umit

umit Extra

Patrick TX,

I use RCA cable coming from L/R speakers to Denon's subwoofer jack with a Y. Sorry.. my mistake, i forget to mention. So I don't think that speaker connection is wrong.

Last night i've checked the connections and setup again. I think this is about Denon's sound philosophy. Like or not. It's warm, clear but a little dull (for my taste of course). Maybe ext. amp will help. This weekend i'll try it with an borrowed amp...

For me this is the best setup i could find for two channel stereo: no center, no sub, no surrounds, only fronts (large) -(if you have powered fronts of course). Switching simply stereo from remote doesn't help because sub stays on and causes struggle for bass reproducing i think...

17. Patrick TX

Did you try to hook it up without the RCA's, plain speaker wire? Tell the Denon that there's no sub. That MAY improve the sound. Maybe you can add an amp as you said. This Amp is a really cheap upgrade for 2 channel, not to mention a STEAL.
    http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...=3103093&Sort=