What's new

Why must we spell things incorrectly? (1 Viewer)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
In doing my normal surfing on HTF I came across a "Krispy Kreme" thread as well as a thread about Outkast's new CD. Which leads me to think of Limp Bizkit and Korn and so on. What is our culture's infatuation with incorrect spelling? I just don't see it.

At 34 have I become my father?

Ralph

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Krispy Kreme" is probably spelled "mispelled" for the sake of Trademarking. I understand it is much harder to trademark common words.

Likewise other names: for uniqueness, identity, and fun.

While we're on the topic, who or what is "uconn"? I suppose you might be referring to the "University of Connecticut" but it's hard to tell without properly spelled words ;)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Dave,

We Huskies attended the University of Connecticut, but the name had to be shortened because people kept trying to spell it Konetikut.:D

Well I guess I'm getting old. I guess I'll just go home and crank some Motley Crue and shut up.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Maybe the Beatles set the precedent for rock groups doing
this, though, by substituting "beat" for "beet", it was at least somewhat clever.

The same can't be said about misspelled names since then, from the Monkees to Limp Bizquick or whoever.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Reminds me of the SNL Nightline sketch with Steve Forbes (must have been what, 1995?) when Steve Forbes was accused of writing an inflammatory article in his magazine about his fellow candidates, referring to them using thinly-disguised pseudonyms such as "Teve Torbes," "Dob Bole," and "Lamar Alexander #2." :laugh:

Regarding the subject of this thread, I think it's just an attention-getting attempt to seem "kool." :D

StephenA

Screenwriter
Sometimes it's just laziness, and other times it's spelled the way it sounds or to avoid legal trouble, to look or sound cool, etc. There are many differemt reasons why.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
While we're on the topic, who or what is "uconn"? I suppose you might be referring to the "University of Connecticut" but it's hard to tell without properly spelled words ;)
New for 2004, it's the GMC uConn! A daring new spelling meant to invoke feelings of uniqueness, identity and fun. :D

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, the trademark issue is usually the reason: If you don't misspell it, you can't trademark it. (Unless you're Microsoft.)
Not to go off-topic, but have you heard of the legal case regarding Windows and Lindows?
I don't consider this off topic at all. Microsoft for may years tried many times to trademark the word "Windows," but was denied the privilege because trademarking single word in common usage is simply not allowed. Recently, they got their trademark on the word, though it will be challenged in court on December 1st.

I remember when Bill Gates demonstrated the first PocketPC device to the press. He indicated that he intended to call it a Palm computer. A reporter asked him, "Do you think the makers of Palm OS will object to that name?"

Bill's response was, "What? 'Palm' is just a word. We can use it if we want to."

Cleverly, the reporter countered with, "You mean, like 'Windows' is just a word?"

The expression on Bill Gates' face after that retort was priceless. Come this December, Bill may wish he had somehow spelled "Windows" with a "K."

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well, when doing a search for computer in the HTF Computer & HTPC, be sure to spell computer...copmuter. You get much better results

e.g.

Two Copmuter questions in one..
Neil V Computers and HTPC Area 0 48 September 14th, 2003 08:13 AM
by Neil V

Dell Copmuter Received, a few questions...
Neil V Computers and HTPC Area 4 182 September 10th, 2003 10:28 AM
by Carlo Medina

Copmuter or Set top DVD recorder?
Neil V Computers and HTPC Area 3 77 July 8th, 2002 05:53 PM
by Neil V

Copmuter Problem update

Are they called copmuters now?

My favorite copmoser is J.S Bach :)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Ralph, what LOOKS better for a rap duo, Outcast or Outkast?

How about a rap-metal band? Limp Bizkit or Limp Biscuit? Korn or Corn?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks