Why must I have to ask for widescreen...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidEC, Oct 2, 2001.

1. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]
    Just came from one of my local Wal-Marts to find that I had picked up a 'FULL SCREEN' version of the "Mummy Returns"...
    UGG!!
    Go back to the store for an exchange and all they had on the shelves were the 'FULL SCREEN' version of the movie.. so I asked the clerk if they even had any of the widescreen copies in stock... Guess what they had a whole aisle display in the back which they had not unpacked... because they did not know that the movie was released in two different formats and did not have room on the floor.. I then asked if they were going to pack up some of the 'FULL SCREEN' and move some of the 'WIDESCREEN' to the stores shelves.. and was told that they would just wait till they sold some of the stock from the floor and then move the 'Widescreen' out...
    Now if you did not know that there were two releases of the movie and walked into the store.. you would think that there was only the full screen release!!
    Now I am glad that Universal is releasing both formats (for the black bar and widescreen haters).. but I feel that they should request/require equal display space in stores.
    --David

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

3. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

I'm not surprised. WalMart can sell product competitively cheap because they don't pay for serious employee expertise; they pay for hands to move product around. The product itself is not fully considered. It is a sad tale of the age we live in.
    As for Universal putting out two versions of the movie, I would question the usefullness of it for the consumer. For Universal I would be curious as to how they thought it would be more profitable to release separate widescreen/PS versions as opposed to a flipper that would give you both in one box. I have this nagging suspicion it's one of those corporate decisions that went along the lines of; the demographic shows the audience for this "type" of movie is gonna want it in P&S; but to meet all our customers needs let's release a WS version for the 16x9'ers. Still, why not put both versions on one disc? There's profit motive in there somewhere! [​IMG]

4. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

A big release will have quite large sales predictions, both for P/S and OAR. So Universal don't need to increase the cost of goods on all units, when each unit is likely to be viewed in either P&S or OAR, not both.
    Its like why some DVDs in the UK have multiple European languages, and others have only English. Its down to inventory management. Having multiple languages allows you more flexibility to move inventory around in case of low sales in certain areas. But if its a big hitter, then volumes are high enough to press single language editions.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Still doesn't make sense- you shouldn't have to "make sure you're getting the right one"- they should have them BOTH on the same disc like they said they would when the format came out!
    Oh wait, they're probably saving that for the "Ultimate Edition" release next year [​IMG]

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

That really made me laugh when I read it. They sell the full screens first, and after the initial surge in sales have gone down (and they run out), they break out the widescreen. Very funny!
    Someone needs to get to the right store, buy a full screen version, and then return it saying they wanted wide, but the store doesn't carry it, and makes them special order it.
    Ok, I can dream, can't I?
    Glenn

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I find it very funny (and ironic) that the Pan and Scan versions of The Mummy Returns have black bars across the top and bottom of the coverart saying Full Frame... Whereas the widescreen version doesnt have black bars, but they have gold bars. I dunno, whoever thought of putting black bars across the top and bottom of a full frame release must be a sick person! [​IMG]