What's new

Why Mozilla? Pros and Cons (1 Viewer)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Yeah. It blocks windows you don't ask for, but if you click on something it will bring them up.

Thanks for the tip about the image blocking todd. I never knew that before.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
No problem. Been using Mozilla for a LONG time and like to help spread the word whenever I can, as you can tell by my signature. :)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha. I'm used to AdSubtract killing everything unless you tell it not to.

Bookmark organising still sucks though :)

btw if you're just interested in stopping the dreaded popups then try the new version of Google Toolbar. Very simple but it seems to work well.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The popup killer i use (Popup stopper and google toolbar on two different computers) will kill all popups, but allow the popup windows that open when you click a link that is desgined to open in a new window.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I use Mozilla Firebird almost exclusively. The Search panel is set to automatically use Google, and I haven't seen one pop up window since I installed it. Not one. And it is MUCH faster on my machine...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
So i just installed firebird after people raving about mozilla here...

ONe big thing i noticed is that though pages load a bit faster, the initial startup of Firebird/mozilla is longer than IE... it might be coz IE is integrated somewhat into WinXP...

But so far, so good, except for the fact i dont like the font they use in the program...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Kinda an update here...
The impossible has happend...
Mozilla Firebird is now my most-used browser, it has defeated the ex-king of browsers Internet Explorer!!!

How's it working out for you Ron?

Just some thoughts:
- Compatibility is 99.999999% except for the odd page thats a bit fussy, its great.
- Though initial startup is slower than IE, pages load faster, it feels less bloated.
- The Skypilot theme is great!
- Love the middle-click tabbed browsing. Does OPERA have this function? Anyhow, i alwyas found it annoying in opera having to right click and OPEN PAGE IN NEW TAB for links.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As a longtime user of IE (because Netscape fell behind around IE5.5), and then a fan of both Mozilla and Opera, the one I find myself using most is now Firebird. It's basically Mozilla with the mail component stripped off and better pop-up blocking.

I just downloaded that avantbrowser and will see what is up. My main beef with IE are the pop-ups.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed in Mozilla that when I attempt to get a right click context menu for something that Mozilla will freeze & become a nonresponding app in the Task manager. Then when I shut it down it closes all instances of Mozilla that I have open. That annoys me. I'm continuing to use Mozilla only because of the tabbed browsing feature.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Another Mozilla problem is that I always have to reset the Text zoom size after exiting & re-entering Mozilla. Is there a way to make it always use the same zoom level when it is restarted?

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I use and love MYIE2, bascially a replacement for IE that uses the IE engine. It has all the benefits of Mozilla and the compatability of IE.

- Very good tabbed browser implementation
- Ad/popup blocker
- Skins
- Very deep customization
- Mouse gestures
- Google bar support
- Drag & drop (drag a link and drop it to open in new tabbed window; drag and drop text to do a search)
Free!

At least try it!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
That MYIE2 is similar to the AVANTBROWSER i recommended earlier... before i converted to Mozilla Firebird :D

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Hey, remember this thread? I do, and I've been looking into this Firebird to stop my PC from getting it's homepage taken over.

In regards to the Google search in the top corner... Is there a way to make it open a new tab the same way you can set up the Google toolbar to open a new window when using IE? And does that MYIE2 have the same holes that IE has with people taking over your start page and such?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Firebird isn't bad and I like that you can load your own choice of components in. That said, the smooth-scrolling option isn't very smooth (compared to IE).

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Finally took the plunge and installed Firebird. It is indeed faster browsing page to page and all images load with no problem on each visit (unless the server is down).

It isn't perfect though. Being in beta stage means bugs, and to me it doesn't seem as flexible as IE. I prefer IE's use of the Links toolbar which can be a drop down menu. Firebird's links toolbar streches across the entire browser which is kinda fugly. And there's no way to change the icons for the linked pages.

Minor probs but worth it for a faster browser that's less prone to hax0rz.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Count me in as another Firebird convert.

No unwanted pop-ups :emoji_thumbsup:
Ad Blocker extension gets rid of the Flash ads and others :emoji_thumbsup:
Page cache actually works :emoji_thumbsup:
And in a word: Pipelining!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

In regards to the Google search in the top corner... Is there a way to make it open a new tab the same way you can set up the Google toolbar to open a new window when using IE
The best option right now is to hit ALT+Enter rather than just Enter after you type in the search terms.

To get it to open in a new Tab rather than a new windows, read here:

Firebird Tips

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks