What's new

Why More Marilyn Repeats? - But Jayne Mansfield is Coming to DVD - Finally! (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I like Marilyn Monroe just as much as the next Marilyn enthusiast but see no reason why to put out yet another box set of her movies that have already been restored, just for her 80th birthday? Each is available individually or in the Diamond series box sets.

But did see that Fox is putting out a box of Jayne Mansfield movies FINALLY this Spring... will include "The Girl Can't Help It", "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?", and "The Wayward Bus" (according to The Rumor Mill 11/2/05)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Eric, no offense but that rumor has come and gone. That set was originally espected Feb or March and NOTHING has been announced. I wish Fox would come up with something concrete on this set instead of announcing another set of apes, patton, longest day, tora tora tora etc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because Fox probably thinks they can sell more Marilyn dvds than Jayne Mansfield and the same applies to those Planet of the Apes and War films.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
So you are saying that Fox shelved the Jayne Mansfield box set and didn't tell anyone about it... or are they just keeping a low profile on it?

Why is it so hard or taken so long to get her mainstraam movies on DVD?

Eric

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There could be many reasons why Jayne Mansfield Fox films have not yet been released. Cost of restoration vers anticipated sales for one. It could be that they are being restored and it is taking longer then expected . It could be they are unable to find good elements to do a restoration. Only a Fox insider can say for sure what if anything is holding up the releases .

Richard M S

Screenwriter
It seems pretty bad marketing on Fox's part - they could have hired - or maybe even just asked her daughter, who has a big following herself, to publicize the collection in a few magazines or ET/Access Hollywood type of interviews. It may have increased sales.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Yes it is being replaced. Thats too bad as Wayward bus has not been shown in years.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I would welcome The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw, as it is a good Spoof Western.(Even if it is British Made)

For some reason ( possibly Rick Jason) I always hated The Wayward Bus and if it had been included then I would have passed over the set as I already have the Region 2 Edition of The Girl Can't Help it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just a point of trivia but Jayne Mansfield's singing Sheriff Of Fractured Jaw is dubbed by pop singer Connie Francis (Where The Boys Are). Prior to becoming a popular singer in her own right, Ms. Francis did some dubbing including Mansfield, Tuesday Weld in Rock Rock Rock and Freda Holloway in Jamboree.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Another bit of trivia for film music buffs only.

I had the pleasure of meeting Film Composer, Arranger, Douglas Gamely some years back and he told me that he worked on and generally helped his very good friend Robert Farnon on the Sheriff of Fractured Jaw score.
As an experienced vocal arranger it's possible that he did the arrangements for the Connie Francis songs.
IMDB does not list Gamely's input.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I'm very sorry about the preemption of THE WAYWARD BUS if only because the Steinbeck adaptation is both Mansfield's only dramatic performance (her DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK, if you will) and the exception often proves the rule. Perhaps they could not find a suitable CinemaScope print of this film for the dvd transfer.

AndySvn

Agent
Actually, Jayne's finest dramatic role (IMO) was in "The Burglar" starring Dan Duryea, Martha Vickers and Mickey Shaughnessy. I have a Public Domain DVD of it, but boy, wouldn't it be great if it got the full Special Ed treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks