Why Mono vs Stereo on some Stones cd's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brennan Hill, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

Why are there mono versions of songs on some cd's, the Single Collections for example, and then the same song in stereo on Hot Rocks? Songs like Lets Spend the Night Together, and Jumping Jack Flash. You can see a listing here.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The singles were almost always mono. The albums were frequently released mono and stereo. The mono mixes were usually unique and not simply fold-downs of the stereo. These were also the versions of the songs heard on radio at the time. Personally, I would like them to fill in the gaps and release the mono album mixes as well, but short of that, they have probably struck the best mono/stereo compromise possible, getting the "radio version" of all of the hits on the Singles Collection. There are apparently a few gaffes in the choices of mixes on certain titles, but overall, I like their approach.

Regards,

3. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

i like the way they did it not just using the"album masters"which aren't always the best ones sonically