Why many Canadians shop American

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RayKk, Aug 4, 2002.

1. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

I bought the sony 900v dvd, the sony stores in Toronto want $1500.00 CDN, future shop wanted $1500.00 as a web exclusive (my ass), I shopped around and the best I could find was $1300.00 CDN, so I bought from Etronics on the net for $543.00 US, that works out to $846.00 CDN (thats what they converted it to and it was a nice exchange), with shipping handling and the dreaded PST and GST the total came out to $1075.00 CDN and it was at my door in 5 days (dont take expidited)and it works fine and if it didnt work I would pay to send it back and I would be still a head by hundreds of lonnies, so to our shovel faced drooling prime minister who says buy canadian, go screw your liberal ass.
    Thank You I need that

2. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

I agree... check out the pricing on many items (e.g. Parasound, H/K, etc) and it just makes no sense to purchase locally.

Even sans warranty, it's worth the risk.

If it was just a nominal percentage of difference, then I purchase within our borders...

Still, our American friends lose out big time on Anthem, Paradigm and they must feel shunted as well.

(good thing we have free trade... if it's free trade, it should be allow for interborder warranties as well!)

3. Warner

Warner Agent

Well, it depends. I have noticed the street price for higher end Sony products, like the 900v and the ES line is higher in Canada. The full list price is usually similar though. I know that for a while, in Dec '01, their HW40 line was cheaper in Canada because Sony lowered the list price in Canada before they lowered it in the US. Maybe the expensive stuff is generally cheaper in the US because it's a bigger market and there are more retailers carrying the high end products, so there is more competition. I don't think politics has anything to do with it, maybe corporate politics does though. [​IMG]

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yup, alot of stuff is way cheaper online and in the states...

I just bought a fujifilm 1300 digital camera (1.3MP) for just $99 USD + Washington state sales tax (i hjave it shipped to a placei have in washington). You cant find a decent digicam in canada for anywhree NEAR $160 CAD.

I also bought my reciever for very cheap from Onecall.com.

Alot of stuff was purchased via ebay for much cheaper than i could get here (My Geforce2GTS for instance)

its just the lack of selection and the high prices that drive me to purchase online and in USA

5. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Canadian politics have quite a bit to do with prices, eg the cheapest I could get the sony 900v was $1300.00, now lets add PST & GST the total now is $1495.00, thats $195.00 CDN in taxes, compared to an American purchased 900v that is legally crossing the border and paying Canadian taxes (there is no duty on dvd players) is $846.00 CDN plus the PST & GST is now $972.90 CDN, thats $68.10 CDN in saving in taxes and that's 2 bloody cases of beer I can buy, and most of the money going to the beer is TAX and who cares about the extra $102.10 CDN for shipping and handling, I know the Americans are shaking their heads when they find out we $34.00 CDN for a case of beer, even when the Americans exchange their money to Canadian and reap the exchange rate benefits, they still think beer is a ripoff in Canada and I am in total agreement with them.

6. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Where do you guys find electronics typically online? I'm looking to buy a Marantz DVD player and would like to explore online shipping to Canada options.

Peter

7. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Go to www.borderfree.com and they will list e-tailors that have easy Canadian checkout, that means they will factor in duty (if any) custom brokerage and taxes, your credit card will not be charged till your product crosses the border, but they will put an authorization hold on your credit card for the net total.

8. Peter Hunt

Thanks Ray,

I just did a search on one of the DVD players I'm considering... $150+ less including duty and shipping. Insane.

9. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Peter, let me know what you get, and where you got it.
    Thanks
    RayKk

10. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

When the Elite 45TX is launched in August, I'm going to buy it in the US and ship it to Canada. So far, the best estimated street price in Canada vs the US will be around Cdn$500. That's insane!

However, warranty may be an issue since Pioneer won't warrant US product whereas in Canada I can get 3-year manufacturer's warranty for any Elite products.

Minus the shipping, I estimate that the price difference will be no more than $300. Whether the $300 difference warrants the peace of mind of having a 3-year warranty product, I can't decide for the time being.

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I try not to do all of my shopping in the US. While it is true that prices in Canada are rather poor, its not always the case. I don't think it would make sense to do all your shopping in the US just because prices are lower. The reason we have high prices here is due to alot of economic, social and political factors. Its not that simple. But I do sometimes buy things from outside Canada. The AE100 LCD PJ is one example of something I will buy from outside Canada. Why would I spend over $4000.00 plus CAD dollars including taxes when I can get it for almost have the cost. If it was a high volume item that Canada's economy depended on, then sure, I'd think twice. Still, try to factor in other factors into the equation. My TV is a JVC whihc I bought here in Canada. It was made in Mexico. I almost garantee the people in the factory get paid less than what people in the US and Canada get paid. When I buy a new TV, I will try to buy something closer to home, or at least from somewhere that I think people are paid and/or treated fairly.

Well, I am getting off topic. Borderfree is actually kind of cool. Bottom line, don't buy everything from the US, but shop for the best price in Canada first.

12. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I've gotten some stuff (eg. Panasonic RP91) in Canada in the local brick-and-mortar shops at better than mail order prices in the US.

Beware though if you go online from the US. Ground shipping from many companies (eg. UPS, FedEx) can lead to very high brokerage costs, where are on top of GST and PST. On the rare occasion, this almost completely negates the saving. Unfortunately, it's difficult to know what the brokerage costs are, until you receive the bill.

OTOH, US Postal service brokerage costs are very low, and FedEx air brokerage costs are nil.

Anyways, beware. Don't forget that returns and warranties may be an issue.

13. Eugene Hsieh

By the way, my Toshiba 34" widescreen direct view progressive scan TV was WAY cheaper in Canada. I got it delivered from a nearby city in Ontario, for cheaper than I could get it in Toronto, and MUCH cheaper than any place in the US.

14. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

15. Peter Hunt

Hey Eugene,

"it's difficult to know what the brokerage costs are"

What are "brokerage costs?"

16. Eugene Hsieh

When the stuff crosses the borders, forms and stuff need to be filled out. FedEx Air does this for free. USPS/Canada Post charges a nominal fee (CAD$5).

If you use UPS Ground or FedEx Ground, their shipping fees are less than the Air service, but the problem is they go to 3rd party brokers which ding you on the cost of providing this service. Usually the cost of doing this varies with the value of the package. A high value package may have a brokerage charge of $50 or more. Thus, even if air shipping costs a lot more, sometimes for lightweight packages of high value, it makes a lot more sense to ship via air, since there will be no brokerage fees. OTOH, for heavy packages of comparatively low value, it makes more sense to ship via ground, and pay a bit extra for the brokerage fees.

Shipping with USPS/Canada Post isn't really an option with lots of places, partially because you can't fully track it and thus they don't like using them to ship.

You can do the brokering yourself, but you have to make sure that the shipping company knows this in advance (so they don't send the stuff to a brokerage firm), and you have to show up at the airport or wherever and do all this to save that $50 or whatever.

17. rich wu

rich wu Auditioning

Maybe we can start a business here. We can send you audio equipment and you guys in Canada can send us back our medicine.

18. Felipe S

Felipe S Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

19. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a Sony SCD-C555ES SACD player from the states for $1080 Cdn. total. The least expensive I could find in Southern Ontario was $1600 (or $1650, I can't remember now) for a demo unit plus GST/PST on top of that. In addition, I get a 5 year warranty in the US (I pay for 1 way shipping) vs. 3 years here.

20. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Rich Wu,
    ...and then you guys can ship all our smart people back!
    [​IMG]
    Martin.