What's new

Why I've grown a new appreciation for the HTF (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Over the past year or so, I've had moments when I'd get a bit peeved at the perceived dictatorial stuffiness of a few of the moderators and their occasional chastising of a member who may have challenged the sacred HTF rules. I’d often wonder why some topics were forbidden, why a member was admonished for speaking negatively of another member, or why some threads got padlocked for no apparent reason other than that the debate got a bit heated or the discussion has simply run aground.

HTF was the first forum I’d paid any attention to and the only forum I’ve ever joined. Having had no exposure to other forums, I guess I assumed that all others were likewise populated by (primarily) thoughtful, mature members.

Recently, though, I’ve ventured elsewhere, just to see what’s on the other side of the mountain. My eyes have been opened.

I was astonished by the immaturity, the hostility, and the absurdity running rampant through these other forums. Many of these posters seem able to muster only single sentence responses, some often limited to three or four words of rebuttal. Frequently the puddle-deep observations are of the ‘sez you!’ or ‘Braveheart sucks!’ sort. Rare is the discussion of any significance or depth. Ignorance, lack of insight, and plain old rudeness rule the roost.

So as my title says, I’ve grown a new appreciation for the friendly confines of HTF. I may still ponder the odd lockout, but I hold Ron and Parker – and all the administrators – in high regard for their efforts and their vision. Keep up the great work!

Jon

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The HTF is the best and most well-patrolled gated community I've ever visited! Sorta like a Mr. Lee's Greater Hong Kong franchise community. :wink:

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Yes, I admire the tight rein that generally keeps religious and political overtones out of the discussions. Also this forum isn't peppered with the vulgarity that is rampant on other sites.
But I'd still like to find out about that cheap electronic stuff. :laugh:

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
You know, it may be a small thing, but having real names goes a long way with me. I can't respect opinions coming from someone calling themselves "Onionhead" or "Cheeseballs" or whatever else they think is clever. That, plus the fact that there is no better place to discuss HT is what makes it so worth being a member. There is never a shortage of thoughtful responses and intelligent debate.

Bruce

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gents,

Thank You so much for the kind words. It is
not often that we hear them these days.

I am happy to hear Bruce bring up the username
issue. You would be surprised how many people
give us grief over this policy when they don't
read the signup guidelines during registration
and sign up in an inappropriate manner.

Real names are important here. It puts us at
a more respectable level because people tend to
communicate more intelligently with each other
when they are addressing a real name.

It's kind of sad to see how many times this
board is badmouthed on other websites for our
policies. It's kind of funny when you think all
the badmouthing is being done by those troublemakers
we have ousted, and its the membership that have
remained appreciate of what we do here.

We are going to continue beefing up our policy
of removing those who come here to be disrespectful
to others. We want our membership to be able to
come to this forum, not have to worry about being
flamed, and be part of the best Home Theater group
around.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Cheeseballs, eh???
(scratches chin)
I like it!
Jon
-heading off to the registration area

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Jon, with HTF's name guidelines, you'd be Cheese Balls :)
Seriously, I also enjoy the maturity of the posters here. It's a nice change after dealing with forty-year old children at work.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I agree with everything that has been stated, but you havent seen nothin until you vist an import car forum.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I agree with everything that has been stated, but you havent seen nothin until you vist an import car forum.
Amen Charles. This forum was the first major forum I became a member in because of my addiction to HT which has been somewhat pushed into the shadows since I bought my new vehicle but is nonetheless there especially on release day Tuesday's.

This is one well patrolled forum and its to our benefit as member that the Owners and Admins have done a good job shutting down contentious posts. It is greatly appreciated.

Other forums I've visited to learn about cars are much worse. Especially those frequented by hot headed youngsters.

Patrick

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
A few years ago I undertook the building of my first PC. As such, I hit the various newsgroups and BBs for PC enthusiasts. While the one I found and frequented (arstechnica) was civil and helpful for the most part, I was awed at how downright insulting quite a few of the other boards got. I quickly thanked my lucky stars for HTF and as soon as I had enough info to successfully build my PC (and two others since) I barely venture outside of HTF's boundaries.

And this is still the only "online" thing I do where I've actually met people at (no online singles chats or anything like that). And the people I've met are all wonderful!

Long live HTF!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I totally agree that the use of real names lends immeasurably to the feeling of friendliness and respect here.
I actually joined up on another HT forum, which shall remain nameless, and I have a grand total of 1 post over there. I'd much rather spend my time here with Jon, Max, Ron and Bruce, etc. than with Eggbert, DVDMan, Bubba and Onionhead. :)
Whenever I hear this discussed though, I can't help but chuckle over the fact that my initial HTF registration was declined as it was thought that "Rain" was a nickname. :laugh: No hard feelings, though. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rain,
I remember that signup decline.
You had to do a little convincing for us
to let you join. :)
In any event, I am glad that you came aboard!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Guys:

Thanks for the kudos on the forum and not only understanding but appreciating our guidelines on forum usernames. Ron and I from the beginning made that rule number one. When we came over from Prodigy to start up HTF a lot of us used a nickname. It made it hard to get to really know the person on the other end of the keyboard. Less personal. We didn't want that here.

All of us appreciate the fact that you each take the time out of your day to spend it here with us. That is what makes it all worth while.

Parker

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I wish I had seen this earlier. The credit has to go to the owners Ron and Parker. We just try to do the best we can. One of the tings that attracted me to this forum years ago was the civilized atmosphere around here. I too had been on other forums and lets just say that things were not as... good as they were here. I would always expect this forum to be this way and I will operate diligently to ensure that it is so. Thanks for your observations and insight.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I found this forum 4 years ago through Steve Tannehill's now-defunct DVD Resource and I've been a follower ever since. I was impressed with the serious discussions that mirrored my own interest in movies and the emerging DVD format.

I really appreciate your efforts in trying to maintain the same level of seriousness, although I miss the "spirit" of the forum circa 1999.

Thank you for making it one of the most friendly and informative movie-related forums on the 'net.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Or is that a false memory?
Yup, false memory. I have only ever registered as "Rain." Unlike some people, I actually read the rules beforehand. :D
Perhaps you are thinking of my email address, which does contain "acidrain" as part of it. :)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I tried to register as CJ, even though its a nickname, everyone, even my professional contacts call me CJ. I still get a little bummed every time some one says "I agree Charles, but..." No one calls me Charles.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I must say that I don't always agree with the decisions of the admins, but as the saying goes "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" and I for one wouldn't change a thing here at the HTF! Keep up the good work guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks