1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Why it might be risky to post movie suggestions in the STUDIO FEEDBACK area...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dick, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I posted a plea for the remarkable movie EL NORTE in the feedback section a few days back. Only nine people read it, no one added their support. I am not saying that just because I like a title, I expect swarms of others to rally behind me to encourage a studio to release it. But I wonder if it isn't a real risk to even post requests for more obscure titles. This has happened to me with a few other titles in the past, and none of them has yet emerged on DVD. Studios perusing these threads might look at, for instance, the EL NORTE post and think, "Well, now we know there is little interest in this title. No one even added to the thread. Let's not consider it for DVD." I am of the belief that HTF has the largest active home theater enthusiast membership on the net, and so if not one person out of 48,000 shares my interest in a given film, does that ring the death knell as far as visiting studio execs are concerned? I don't think in the case of EL NORTE it is because everyone hates the film, but rather that far too few people have been exposed to it. What is the best method for letting studios know we want these movies without risking a backfire?

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I doubt that a response of lack of response in the feedback forum really means much to the studios when considering titles. Not everyone looks at the feedback forum on a daily basis (or ever). While HTF may provide some insight into what people want, I doubt it would kill plans for something that the studio felt was viable if there weren't 1000 posts behind it.

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I think the lack of views is mainly because your subject sums it up. You're pleading for the owner of El Norte to release it and we aren't the ones that own it. Now, for those of us that have a bit more interest than just the subject line, we can hover our mouse over it and read most of your post without ever clicking on it. I'm assuming most of us just don't have anything to add to the your thread so we don't actually click on it.

That totally doesn't mean we don't have interest in the film or have no desire to see it released. And in addition to that, I just don't think the studios care too much about the number of views.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I think studios are still limited in what they can release and need no other reason to not produce a disc. Instead I think they use HTF and other places to decide which film to go forward with rather than to not support.

In other words, if you don't do the post at all then your title has ZERO support. That's worse than just a little because I'm suggesting that they start at the top of the most demanded list and go straight down it, rather than come up with their own list and then check at HTF to see if a title will or won't make money.

You can't kill your title, but you may find yourself staring down the idea that not enough people share your interest for your title to get ON the radar in the first place.

And of course the more serious deal killers in DVD production are always rights issues. Cheap production means less buyers required, so your title might only need minimal support to be worth the production costs. Your mentioning it might get someone looking into the cost at least even if the demand seems low. Better than having no one thinking about it at all.