Why Isn't There More Indignation About "The Sting?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Honestly, here we have a Best Picture winner starring one of the most beloved on-screen pairs ever inexplicably released in full-screen only. I for one would love to see this film, but can't due to the fact that it isn't REALLY available on DVD.[​IMG] It would be good if Universal were at least aware that there was a demand for this film in its OAR on DVD.

2. Rain

Rain Producer

There has been many a thread about this, but apparently not enough support.
    Universal definitely needs to release this title in anamorphic OAR.
    Ditto for Babe.
    Until then, no sale.

3. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Babe was only nominated for Best Picture, of course. But you're right, I'd love to get a nice DVD of Babe. It came out in 1997, for God's sake.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    There is indignation, but do you really expect there to be posts on this topic often about a disc that came out almost 5 years ago?

DJ

5. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

Here's what's strange: Universal did release a widescreen version of this a few years ago--on VHS. Why have they not also released it OAR on DVD by now? Maybe they're waiting until next year, the movie's 30th anniversary.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Next year is the film's 30th anniversery, so I'd expect Universal to do an SE.

7. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

I, too, would love to get a SE of The Sting. Here's hoping it happens next year...

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    There's no indignation, because I don't own it. That's the most clear way I can send to Universal that I don't like it being Pan & Scan. When they release it Widescreen, I'll snatch it up first day.

9. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I bought it from Columbia House, but sent it back when I realized it was Fool Screen.

I'll buy a Special Edition!

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Haven't any of you read any of the studio chats conducted by Ron? When a studio representative is asked if such and such a title will be revisited, a very common response as to why it won't is poor sales of the first release. If you want that revisted release, get the first one - even if it is P&S - because good potential sales is the message studios understand most clearly.

11. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

This is one of the discs where I preferred the R2 disc - it is 1.85:1 letterbox over here (that is not anamorphic though so count me in for a SE re-release as well)

12. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

13. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Huh??? [​IMG] I am not going to spend my hard earned cash on something that will not be watched. Sorry but I caught "The Sting" on TCM in widescreen and enjoyed every second of it. I would constantly be wondering what I was missing if I had watched a P&S version. I will buy this the day it is released in its proper format.

14. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Alan, just because studios don't understand their market correctly doesn't mean we have to buy into it.
    After all, it's not like this forum is unknown to the studios, so quality feedback is there.
    You would have to be a marketing idiot if you didn't consider the possibility that no OAR kept the sales of the DVD down, especially in the early stages of DVD when it was only enthusiasts, and even more especially on an older title that tends to have much more appeal to enthusiasts only.
    Hey, here's a colorized version of Battleship Potemkin with a new Britney Spears soundtrack...oh, no reason to do better for this title since that release didn't sell. [​IMG]
    If something doesn't sell, it doesn't mean there is no interest in the idea IN GENERAL. It only means that the specific product at the specific price at the specific time with the specific marketing isn't wanted.
    Audience interest in the title is only one of MANY factors that can limit the sale of any film, album, book, etc. And anyone doing marketing for the studio should know that (or be fired).

16. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I'm sure an OAR DVD will be coming out soon, because I finally broke down and bought the VHS a couple of days ago.

17. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

18. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Well, Seth - I wish we could sit in one of those studio meetings where they decide whether to to redo and reissue an existing title. We may find it very difficult to convince a company whose financial butt is on the line and who has to answer to stockholders to spend a lot of money on something that doesn't have a good track record. They're not just looking at previous dvd sales - they have sales data for laser disc and tape too.

Also - I just pointed out what studio representatives have actually said. I would like to put forth the same arguments you put forth and others too, to try to convince them otherwise. I just don't have a lot of confidence that I'll be successful.

19. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Since The Sting has been issued on LD in widescreen, I'd settle for a non-anamorphic release at this point.

20. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Did any of you asking about "support" for this cause bother to write, email, and call Univeral? That's the way to get things done. If you haven't called, written,and emailed, then what "support" can you expect?

Not trying to cast negative dispersions on those of you who *did* contact Universal (kudos to ya!), but the rest of you who care who haven't actually *done* anything should try "supporting" a widescreen release by the methods that are effective and available...

Check out Universal's website for contact info. thedigitalbits.com has good contact info for all the studios.

-dave