What's new

Why Isn't Paramount Releasing Mclintock? Any Concerns About Olive? (1 Viewer)

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Paramount has released Rio Lobo, Big Jake, True Grit, and Hondo on Blu-Ray. Why isn't Paramount releasing one of John Wayne's most popular movies McLintock! on Blu-Ray? I have been reading on this thread about Olive. Does this necessarily mean that McLintock! will not be as good looking and sounding on Blu-Ray by Olive as it would have been if Paramount was doing it? All comment appreciated and I wanted to know if others here have any concerns since Olive and not Paramount will be doing the Blu-Ray of Mclintock! Thanks! Robert

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
CBS owns BIG JAKE and RIO LOBO and they indicate what titles they will release through Paramount. TRUE GRIT was released around the same time the remake arrived to piggy back on it. HONDO could have just been to test waters on Wayne Blu. All this being said, Batjac owns MCCLINTOCK so the transfer comes from them to Paramount to Olive. I would think that the transfer would be top notch as DVD looked well to me. I'm still looking forward to an announcement for THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY in Blu.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the reply Allen! I would like to see all of John Wayne movies released on Blu-Ray! Of the movies controlled by Paramount, Rio Lobo and Big Jake are my two favorites so I am glad these have been released by Paramount. As I said I would like to have all of them on Blu-Ray but particullarly Hatari!, El Dorado, and The Sons Of Katie Elder. Also, I actually probably like Island In The Sky better than The High and The Mighty so I would like for Island In The Sky to be released on Blu-Ray too! They should release Island and The High and The Mighty at the same time! Also, the 2 John Wayne movies I want the most on Blu-Ray are owned by Warner Brothers: MCQ 1974 and The Train Robbers 1973, My dream is to have MCQ and The Train Robbers on excellent Blu-Rays as soon as possible, like yesterday! LOL Maybe one day it will come true! Take Care! Robert

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Paramount doesn't appear to be interested in releasing very many catalog titles anymore. What they didn't license to Olive, they have turned over to Warner Brothers, but of course they are holding onto their biggies, like the Godfather movies and Indiana Jones.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MCCLOUD said:
Thanks for the reply Allen! I would like to see all of John Wayne movies released on Blu-Ray! Of the movies controlled by Paramount, Rio Lobo and Big Jake are my two favorites so I am glad these have been released by Paramount. As I said I would like to have all of them on Blu-Ray but particullarly Hatari!, El Dorado, and The Sons Of Katie Elder. Also, I actually probably like Island In The Sky better than The High and The Mighty so I would like for Island In The Sky to be released on Blu-Ray too! They should release Island and The High and The Mighty at the same time! Also, the 2 John Wayne movies I want the most on Blu-Ray are owned by Warner Brothers: MCQ 1974 and The Train Robbers 1973, My dream is to have MCQ and The Train Robbers on excellent Blu-Rays as soon as possible, like yesterday! LOL Take Care! Robert
HATARI!, THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER and of course DONAVAN'S REEF are also ones I would like to see on Blu from Paramount, Olive, or Warner. Maybe we should take bets on whomwill release those.

ahollis said:
HATARI!, THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER and of course DONAVAN'S REEF are also ones I would like to see on Blu from Paramount, Olive, or Warner. Maybe we should take bets on whom will release those.
I would be happy to lose that bet, as long as someone puts them out.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Paramount released a very nice transfer of McLintock! on DVD in 2005 despite the proliferation of inferior quality public-domain editions. It's still available. I'm sure Batjac will make the same transfer or a better one available to Olive Films for the blu-ray. Gretchen Wayne has stated the film is a favorite of the Wayne family and they want it out. It's not being marketed as 50th Anniversary edition, but that's how old it is, being released in November 1963. It's going to look fine.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
McLintock! has been showing on HDNet movies and it looks fantastic!! The Blu will surely look as good or better!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
McLintock is definitely a sign more Paramount-owned John Wayne titles will probably follow. However I don't have any concerns since these will all probably being remastered/restored by Paramount (or the Wayne estate) with Olive merely as distributor. In another light, with these Paramount John Wayne titles coming on top of the vast amount of Republic John Wayne's on the slate, Olive looks poised to be the single largest purveyor of John Wayne blu-ray titles out there.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I suppose the big difference to those outside of America is that Paramount catalogue releases tended to region free, & it looks like Olive releases are now region locked.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Keith Cobby
I have just finished watching Big Jake, great western. I would like to see In Harm's Way on Blu-ray, which is my favourite of his non-western films (my favourite western being The Cowboys).
In Harm's Way would be a fantastic release. Just like all the other Paramount films Duke made during the 1960s. Perhaps Warner Bros. will put this one out, since they hold rights to a number of Paramount titles.

DakotaSurfer

Agent
Real Name
Michael
First, Paramount probably gave McLintock! to Olive to do since they knew there would be knock-offs as there has been since the film went public domain. Gretchan has no control, if she did there would have been a much better cover for the BR release. The Wayne family did originally retain the film rights but in the early 90's the courts decided the film went to public domain because the proper paperwork had not been completed for renewing the copyrights so all that's retained is the music score rights.

I have to say I hope Olive Films runs out of John Wayne films soon. There covers leave something to be desired, the most hideous so far was the one they used for Lady for a Night released in February. And to answer a couple posts above, Paramount is not doing the remastering, Olive Films is at their plant up by Chicago and that's a direct quote from their own website. As for emails, several people have tried and they won't answer emails, even when "others" have tried.

Releasing 57 minute films to a single BR disc seems a bit wasteful and greedy. 5 were scheduled for March (A Man Betrayed, McLintock!, The Lawless Nineties, Westward Ho and Wyoming Outlaw), and 7 are scheduled for April, (Pals of the Saddle, Santa Fe Stampede, The Fighting Seabees, The Lonely Trail, Three Faces West, Wake of the Red Witch and War of the Wildcats). So far the ones for March are off schedule, 3 have been delayed and the other 2 are being left as TBA. Maybe they are doing too much too fast. After this bunch that only leaves them 12 Republic John Wayne films to do. Other then that I heard Fox is releasing 2 in December.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
McLintock! looks like it may be a one-off Batjac Wayne. The disc give co-distributor credit to "Ignite Films," which specializes in remastering and restoring select PD films and films in Enterprise library (now owned by Paramount through the Republic library).

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I have the Sweden import Blu-ray which is still available from Amazon Germany for a bit less than 20.00 Euros. Very pleased with the transfer.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Reed Grele said:
I have the Sweden import Blu-ray which is still available from Amazon Germany for a bit less than 20.00 Euros. Very pleased with the transfer.
Boy, I thought this transfer was bad (the Swedish one). It has about 2.0 aspect ratio, and very soft picture, in my opinion.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Reed Grele said:
This is an example of what the one I have looks like:

attachicon.gif
vlcsnap-2013-04-02-02h28m26s51.png
Hmmm. The only way I could get the picture to appear normal on my projector was to have it at about 2.0 AR. Otherwise, it looked stretched. Looks okay in your capture.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
The reviews for the Olive release of McLintock! so far have been very positive, with the exception of not having any of the DVD's extras ported over from the Paramount release, and also not having the option of 5.1 audio, which was also present on the former DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks