1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Why isn't DVD player setup answer to OAR/P&S problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Rochkind, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I've read a few threads here about the problem of people who rent or buy OAR DVDs not liking the black bars.

Most (maybe all--I don't know) DVD players have a setup option to show widescreen movies at 4:3, effectively doing P&S in the player. I'm assuming that in many, if not most, cases the player just takes the center section. I don't know whether the P&S codes that I understand can be present on the DVD are actually there, and, if they are, whether players look at them. But, even if they don't, probably people who insist on P&S wouldn't care anyway.

Isn't the best solution to release everything in OAR and let each viewer set up his or her player according to preference? Isn't this the way it was supposed to work when DVDs were introduced?

Or, is it the case that people don't know about this setup feature? Maybe it should be a big button on the remote.

2. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

That option is there to allow your player to format the picture correctly for the type of TV you own. It does not automatically Pan&Scan the movie. When a movie is Pan&Scanned, it's not just chopped off on the sides. If a character is on the right side of the screen that will be chopped off and is talking, the camera will be 'panned' so that you can see the person talking. And that is one of the most annoying side-effects of Pan&Scan, next to not seeing all of the picture.

3. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Actually, most players do include an option to do 'pan 'n scan on the fly' exactly as Marc has written. It would be encoded on the disc where the focus should be, and the player zooms accordingly.

Unfortuneatly this requires that the disc be authored to take advantage of this feature, which nearly all are not.

This would be a great solution to the problem, but none of the studios are taking advantage of it.

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Reply to Derrick: Yes I know, the result would be terrible, much worse than a careful P&S. But, would the so-called J6P viewer care, or even know? At least the picture would fill the screen!

5. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

You have a point there. [​IMG]

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Marc, man if it were only that simple![​IMG]

7. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

I would imagine that the main reason that the P&S on-the-fly option is not used is because of cost.

More than likely, when a film is being readied for the second ancillary markets (cable, TV, VHS, as well as in-flight airlines), P&S is created for those markets.

So to create a P&S DVD, all that is DVD authored is this version.

With P&S on-the-fly option, the DVD has to be authored for each frame, to imbed codes for the DVD to play the film with P&S feature. This is an added cost.

It is easier just to include the already created P&S version versus a totally newly remastered DVD authored version.

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter