What's new

why isnt canada part of united states... (1 Viewer)

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Canada was settled by the French, The original 13 colonies, by the British. And I bet if you asked each country if they wanted to be a part of the other, you would hear a loud no :)
That enough? :)
If not, look up the history of Canada, and the history of the colonies via Google!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. It pretty much boils down to "blame the Frenchies.":)
But didn't France colonize Canada, then the Brits took it over, then after the colonies won the revolution, the Brits all went up there or back to England? Wasn't the whole "France got beat by the Brits for Canada" thing the reason why France helped us win the revolution?
(I'm a junior-to-be in HS and we had some really simple American History in 8th grade, so this is all from memory)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Personally I'd very much like to see no customs and boarder fees and to use the same value dollar as the US :p)

Would make many things in this hobby a lot easier and cheaper.

I'd very much like to see a one world thing as well, but that has very little chance of happening in my life time.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What would we call this 11th province? What would we do with the president and senate, and that green money?

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Canada/French got pissed off when they help us during the war thinking they were gonna get part of the US, but then we kinda backstabbed them.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Canada was formed by the United Nations in 1850 as a demilitarised zone between the Eskimo/Inuits and the United States. The 1812 Eskimo-American war was quite bloody, and instead of dragging the war for many more pointless years, the Eskimos and Americans decided to form a buffer state, Canada, as an agreed-upon non-aggression zone.

It just happened that people liked it enough to live up here. Go figure.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Basically, Canada is a nation that was founded by British Loyalists after the "New World" was settled. The fundamendal difference in idealogies between the English speaking people who occupied the lands that would eventually become Canada and the United States was that Americans fiercely wanted their independence and were willing to go to war over it. Those who maintained loyalty to Britain flowed north to what would become Upper Canada (more or less the province of Ontario; what we now know as Quebec would come to be known as Lower Canada).

Later, much like in the U.S., the lands west of this were gradually settled.

But, as to why the U.S. didn't stake a claim on more of the land that would become Canada? Simply put, they probably found it too inhospitable and, at the time, didn't particularly want it.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Why would Americans want to annex Canada? What would we do with all those touques and back bacon in America anyway? Who would we be able to steal Gretzky from? What would happen to Bob and Doug McKenzie? Bryan Adams would lose all of his exotic charm. What would Montreal's hockey team be named?

Think before you speculate, people!!!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I have to disagree with you. I was in Auckland, NZ once (Ok, about 30 years ago) and ran into a local one night (Ok, he was a drunk on the street) that told me that the best thing that could happen to New Zealand would be for it to become part of Australia. He went on to add that IHO (in his opinion) New Zealand tried so hard to outbest Australia but didn't stand a chance.

I really can't understand the U.S. & Canada border with the customs taxes and such. Canada is in NAFTA too, so I really can't see why there are any taxes at all, but - and as hard as it is, can we keep politics out of this?

Glenn

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
"Have you considered history books? "

no, too lazy to open the books. too lazy to even find out one. it is fun to ask people here because most of the time they explain everything concisely. i dont need to know the details. my hands are full with school, family and home theater hobby that i dont want to spend more time on history.

thanks for the explanation so far guys!!!

and i didnt know about eskimo versus america. come on, i think it was not a fair war! wait wait, is eskimo a name of a country???

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, here's what I remember:

Basically, Canada got settled by the English and the French at around the same time. Upper Canada (Ontario) was the british end and Lower Canada (Quebec) was the french. Eventually, a strange beast called Canada emerged around 1867, which is when British Parliament passed the British North America act, creating a new colony. Preceeding this of course were the americans (who were also british) with their decidedly different colonization ideas (basically bloody revolution instead of colonial loyalism). I can't recall what the motivation for the war of 1812 was, but it might have had something to do with an attempted push northwards for the americans, but at this point they were bested by the british (this was when the american capital was burned), and the attempt ended. Since then, neither country has had any desire to join the other. I'm hoping that most of that was right-never took all that much Canadian history, and the little I did do was a LONG time ago.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Actually Canada almost became the 14th colony during the revolutionary war. The 13 colonies sent an army to take the two main cities Ontario and Quebec. Well we took Ontario with ease but all of the Brits that retreated from Ontario went to Quebec, then by the time we got to Quebec there were too many British troops there for the americans to take the city.
Kevin C. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks