Why isn't Bewitched Black and White TV DVD's available through store chains?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

What's with Sony Pictures Entertainment Corp and Brick and Mortar Retailers where it concerns the Bewitched DVD title?

When Season 1 was released, only the Color Versions were available (Target, FYE, Circuit City, Best Buy, Borders) and they did not carry the Black and White version. Now, it seems that these stores are not going to carry the Black and White version of Season 2, only the color version.

Just what in the hell is going on? I'm sure this has to be a Sony marketing gimmick to only make the color version available to store chains forcing fans to go online to get the original Black and White edition.

I work at Target, and Target gets every version of a particular release, with movies we still get the Widescreen edition, the Fulll Screen version as well as the VHS version so it can't be a particular version that a store doesn't order. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

2. WillG

WillG Producer

I would guess that these chains think that the B&W versions would not sell very well because most people would rather have color. It's not quite the same in their eyes as Widescreen vs. Pan and Scan where they know there is a demand for Widescreen versions of movies so they carry them. Or the chains think that a B&W and Color versions on the same shelf would be to confusing to consumers. I'm not thinking it's a big Sony conspiracy.

3. Mark Talmadge

Yeah, but Target wouldn't pass on not ordering both because they receive every possible version of a particular DVD release. Not only that, but I suspect Gord might be able to she some light or get some answers from Sony about this. I hate the colorized versions as I enjoy watching the original version of this series.

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I've seen the both the B/W and colorized versions at Borders, Tower, Fry's, Suncoast and some other Las Vegas stores.

5. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Not true. They did not carry the deluxe "VIP" edition of SHOWGIRLS, for example, and countless other widescreen or unrated versions of films they did stock in P&S or rated versions. However, I have noticed recently that they've gotten better at stocking multiple versions when available. Target, like every other retailer, has a purchasing department that decides on a title-by-title basis what, and which versions, to stock at their stores. I'd bet they deemed "Bewitched" to not be a huge seller, and thusly opted to stock only the colorized version as their perceived best selling option.

I think Sony blew it by even offering the colorized version, making things more complicated than necessary. It's the retailers decision, not some Sony conspiracy, to stock only the colorized version. If anyone is to blame, it's "J6P" who would even consider buying the colorized version. But then again, "J6P" probably doesn't even know it was originally B&W. It's this consumer that the mass-market retailers cater to. Thankfully, there are other options for the rest of us.

6. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Target, being politically correct, doesn't usually like to carry "unrated" versions of films. Sometimes they do, but don't count on it. I don't go to Target for anything more controversial than a Disney movie, though.

7. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Wal-mart has the same policy. That's why I was shocked to see the new unrated/SE version of SAW with the "dripping blood" package at Wal-mart. By the way, this case design has to be one of the best yet for a DVD. Very cool...almost enough to make me double-dip.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think Wal Mart's policy of unrated movies varies based on the area that the store is located in. If you have a BB or a CC, etc (which sell unrated copies) in your area, Wal Mart wants your money so they'll sell unrated copies in that area. If you live in the sticks and Wal Mart is the only game in town, then the 'no unrated' policy is in effect.

It's nice to see a company set such high standards for their products and toss them when money is at stake. [​IMG]

9. Sean.S

Sean.S Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, the only retail chain that I know of that carried the B&W version in Central and South Alabama was Barnes & Noble for full MSRP.

So, I just did the easy thing and put the B&W versions of both 1 & 2 on my Christmas list. [​IMG]

I may be 20, but I like my shows as originally aired and after reading about the dodgy picture quality of the colorized versions, I know the B&W versions are what I want to own.

On a side note, how many seasons were originally B&W and how many color? I know that CBS switched everything (But Mr. Ed, because he was a Zebra) to color in 1965, but I'm not sure about ABC, which aired Bewitched. Thanks in advance.

--Sean "Advocate of Original Airing Ratio (The Other OAR)" Sporman

10. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Maybe they're just sold out? Everyone picked them up over the colorized versions?

Just like trying to find the Deluxe Batman Begins in stores and just finding 100s of the single discs.

11. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

The first two seasons are in B&W; the rest are color.

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I know I got Season One B&W at an FYE back in Albany.

13. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    I had no problem finding and buying both the B&W & colorized sets at a B&M shop. The retailers decide what they will carry, not the suppliers. Sony is not going to refuse to sell the B&W sets to Target if Target wants to order them. They manufactured them, they want to make money off them.

The colorized discs already existed for a few years, as they were available in Japan. So, if Sony didn't want to sell the B&W ones, they wouldn't have gone to the added expense of transferring & manufacturing them. They simply would have put out the already existing color discs.

I agree that this is about retailers stocking what they think will sell. The sad reality is that easily 75% of the people I know say they will never watch things in B&W. "They're old & boring. My GRANDMOTHER watches that cr*p" is what one co-worker said to me. (Sigh)

14. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Everyone had the opportunity to order both sets, but apparently the buyers for some of the large chains decided to just get the color version. Sony wasn't limiting anything with the product.

Gord

15. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    It seems that the Barnes and Noble stores in my area ONLY sold the B&W but all the other stores had just color.

16. Mark Talmadge

I'm not complaining or anything because I was able to get my copy from Overstock.com for the same price I would have gotten it at Target where I work (with my employees discount). It's just that it's aggravataing and irritating to go out of the way to get the original version. Sony should have elected to only go the Black and White version route.

Looks like I may end up having to get Season 2 through Overstock.com this time around as well.

17. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

I know for a fact that both versions are available from BJ's Wholesale Club if you are into the "club" big box experiance.