What's new

Why is volume lower on CD Analog? (1 Viewer)

Mark V

Auditioning
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to HT. I just bought a Denon AVR-2105 and an RBH CT-5.1 sub/sat system. I've plugged my older Denon CD player via composite analog connections. It sounds great but the volume level is much lower than when on the Digital TV and DVD settings and even the FM radio.

I max out at 10.5 dB; the owners manual says that it goes up to 18dB unless you set one of the individual channels above 5dB. (All indivdual channels are below 5.0 dB.) At max volume it is pretty loud, but nowhere near the digital channels.

Furthermore, I think the analog CD channel was louder when I first set it up. It's only after fooling around with the settings has the volume scaled down.

Anybody have an idea of what gives?

Thanks,

Mark

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Why don't you just reduce the levels of the other inputs so that your CD player is the same volume?

Mark V

Auditioning
Rick, I used the autosetup feature initially, but why would one source be lower than the others? There is a feature for adjusting the volume manually for each channel, but I thought this adjustment was for all sources. Are you saying that this adjustment is source specific?

Thanks,

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I am not familiar with the Denon receiver you have, but my receiver has an attenuation function that can be simply turned on or off (there is no level setting). I keep it on for FM radio because the signal level for that source is much higher and the volume significantly louder than is the case with other sources. My receiver's display shows a small ATT symbol when this source-specific feature is turned on. You might want to check if your receiver has a similar setting, and if it's accidentally turned on for analog CD audio.

Incidentally, there is no such thing as "composite analog" audio connection. Composite refers to video only.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Does it have to do with dynamic range. I thought the dynamic range on analog is higher hence lower volume than digital. But Meesa can be wrong.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Mark, my Integra has a setup feature called "Intellivolume" that can be used to change the relative volume of the various sources. I thought that you were referring to a similar feature on your receiver.

And, yes, sources can vary in relative volume between TV, FM, CD and DVD - and especially if you use a phono input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks