why is there no USB ps2 controllers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brice, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering why Sony or a 3rd party developer hasn't made a controller that would take advantage of the USB ports on the front of the PS2... cause if Sony makes them then they could make it possible for consumers to play games with four players and not have to buy a multitap... it would save in a lot of space too... i think it would be cool anyways... what does everyone else think??

Edit: i am referring to the Dual Shock 2, i know that there are USB controllers out there...
    [​IMG]

~Brice

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I agree.

I wonder if there would be extra licensing fees involved as well. A third party already has to pay Sony a fee for the right to produce a controller for the PS2...they'd likely have to pay the USB consortium as well (assuming such a fee is necessary)

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Software has to support it.

5. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

BrianB hit the nail on the head. If someone releases a standard USB controller, nothing will work with it, and then everyone who buys it has a cow. The USB port will likely always be for specialty controllers.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

There are some FPS games that use USB keyboard/mouse combos and Time Crisis 2 uses the USB port for the lightgun. Otherwise, nothing is supported (in America).

7. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

The Trance Vibrator from Rez is also supported here, it just wasn't sold here. They left the code to support the device in the American version - it would have been more work to take it out. If there are any other weird peripherals over there, I'd bet they'll work with the US version of the game (assuming there is one) too.

8. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I'm actually using my USB Network adapter in my PS2. Luckily, the network titles I've tried out have used it.

Glen