What's new

why is there no USB ps2 controllers? (1 Viewer)

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering why Sony or a 3rd party developer hasn't made a controller that would take advantage of the USB ports on the front of the PS2... cause if Sony makes them then they could make it possible for consumers to play games with four players and not have to buy a multitap... it would save in a lot of space too... i think it would be cool anyways... what does everyone else think??

Edit: i am referring to the Dual Shock 2, i know that there are USB controllers out there...
:)

~Brice

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
play games with four players and not have to buy a multitap...
I think that's one reason. Sony wants you to buy their multi-tap, just like they want you to buy their A/V cables (1st party or licensed 3rd party).

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I agree.

I wonder if there would be extra licensing fees involved as well. A third party already has to pay Sony a fee for the right to produce a controller for the PS2...they'd likely have to pay the USB consortium as well (assuming such a fee is necessary)

Drew Dockery

Stunt Coordinator
BrianB hit the nail on the head. If someone releases a standard USB controller, nothing will work with it, and then everyone who buys it has a cow. The USB port will likely always be for specialty controllers.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are some FPS games that use USB keyboard/mouse combos and Time Crisis 2 uses the USB port for the lightgun. Otherwise, nothing is supported (in America).

Drew Dockery

Stunt Coordinator
The Trance Vibrator from Rez is also supported here, it just wasn't sold here. They left the code to support the device in the American version - it would have been more work to take it out. If there are any other weird peripherals over there, I'd bet they'll work with the US version of the game (assuming there is one) too.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I'm actually using my USB Network adapter in my PS2. Luckily, the network titles I've tried out have used it.

Glen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks