What's new

Why is there a HUGE lack of HDTV & Custom Sndtrk. Support for XBOX? (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Note that they upped the level of detail for the XBox version. If it was a straight PS2 port, they might have made 720p.

I'd rather have a widescreen version with upgraded visuals at 60fps than a simple port at 720p.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't think XBOX2 will do that either.
You don't think XBox 2 will be powerful enough to run a game like Midnight Club 2 at 720p 60fps with higher quality detail and models than the current PS2 version.

I think you are seriously wrong, if not being downright silly.

And I own a PS2, a Gamecube, and an XBox (around with 30 or so other consoles).

I think any console after this generation will have no problem supporting 720p/1080i as standard resolutions for most games, while maintaining high detail and high framerate. New console generations typically have 5 to 10 times the horsepower of the previous.

James_tango

Stunt Coordinator
I think you are seriously wrong, if not being downright silly.

And I own a PS2, a Gamecube, and an XBox (around with 30 or so other consoles).
I've also been a enthusiastic gamer myself. :) I'd love to be able to play impressive looking games at 720p, and 1080i, even at 1080p or higher. Having been more of a videophile than a gamer myself, I upgrade my displays at least every year costing $10k+ for a display. Reality is that average Joe, doesn't really care about this resolution/quality visuals (being in film/videos or games) hence lack of quality HD displays in the mainstream market.

BTW, I don't own any gaming consoles. My daughter owns them all. :D

James St

Supporting Actor
lack of mainstream people with High-Definition capable displays, next generation standard is still most likely to be 480p.
With so many people without a HD capable display I'd say the standard is, has been and will continue to be 480i. I think with HD sets becoming more and more affordable they will become more mainstream though(Hell, even Walmart carries them now:)).

I agree with Michael that most games will offer 720p/1080i. With the next gen consoles not launching for another two to three years, thats almost an eternity in technology time.

Interesting point, James.

I agree that higher the resolution, there's always a compromise in a fixed hardware platforms such as game consoles because it requires more memory bandwidth as well as more memory quanity. And current XBOX's 64MB of total memory with bandwidth of 6.4GB/s is far from enough to show impressive stuff at 720p nor 1080i resolutions.

720p, and 1080i resolution supporting games will be more common than current generation for sure, but I also think 480p is still going to be mainstream. Heck, if I was a developer, I would throw tons of polys, bumpped-mapped textures, more realistic physics, further draw-distance, more trees, grass, more cars, more people, more realitic hairs, more light source, more reflections...ect..ect at 480p resolution.

Surely, next generation consoles should be powerful enough to show impressive stuff at HD resolutions, but at 480p, they'll do even better.

There's a threshold where our eyes can make out. But we're still far from it even at low resolutions like 480p. In this regard, I also think most of developers will choose to use 480p, and tap hardwares to the fullest.

Until we get a very close real-time visuals to pre-rendered CG movies such as say Final Fantasy : The Spirits Within (or even better) at 480p!

Interesting discussion. :)

Users who are viewing this thread