What's new

Why is the SVS SS so expensive? (1 Viewer)

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
$1000 more than the CS-Ultra- same driver. Just a nicer finish, which IMO shouldn't cost that much more.

What's the difference between the two?

Oh I'm not dissing SVS (own the Active 20-39 PC Plus) just wondering why the large increase in price for (apparently) just for the nicer finish.

Ta

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Acoustically the SS has a lower tunning point with corresponding bigger enclosure, its made from real wood that is hand finished and stained.

From what I recall, it is not just a "nicer finish" but the construction of the enclosure is different including the top cap.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Is it still made with sonotube with a outer layer of veneer, then stained?

The different price banding of the various SVS subs offers good value for money (ie only $146 more for the 16hz PCi/Plus.. but I feel the SS is a bit overpriced. I can understand a bit more for the 16hz longer tube, and a couple of hundred for veneer- but not $1000 more.

Anyone know what the internals are like, compared to the Ultra?

Oh if Tom V reads this thread- I think you should design a seperate 500W mono poweramp, possibly digital switching, with the features of the BIB also built in (gain/adjustable phase/adjustable SS filter)

I was thinking of getting the CS-Ultra, but didn't like the idea of using a stereo amp (will only use one channel) and also purchasing the BIB.. basically two units & power points needed, and another length of phono cable.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Labor for quality veneer finishes (especially on round surfaces) isn't cheap. Check places like Acoustic Visions and Rutledge Audio. They build enclosures for DIY speaker kits. And typically the enclosure ends up being $500-$1000 or more of the cost of the finished product. And if you went and asked a cabinet shop to do a one off for you it would be even more.

SVS hasn't used sonotube for a long time. I'd imagine the SS uses the same material the other subs do (denser and thicker than sonotube). As for internals, identical to the Ultra. But again, the labour, plus the cost of the veneer (and they even offer color matching) could easily account for $1k.

The one that doesn't make since to me is the $50 price differences between the models within a series. The only difference there is the height of the tube and the amount of cover fabric needed (and possibly slight differences in the length of the center tubes in the ports). And I'm sure 15" of the enclosure tube and outer cover doesn't cost $100. Makes good business sense though, and considering the over all value of even the 16-46 models, I wouldn't complain much. And at least it is $50 across the board now, used to vary by series.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The ultra is the same tube as the other SVS, while the SS is a big wooden tube with veneer added. This adds significant expense I am sure, to form a tubular wooden thing.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Besides, it's the top-of-the-line model.

Does anyone here actually think the top-of-the-line Ferrari costs anywhere near what it sells for to make? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks