Why is the 1953 "Big Heat" so expensive?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jan 21, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

It's a single-disc, barebones (not even a trailer) catalogue title from 2001... yet it's retailing at most online shops for $23 US; why?

I was going to purchase the dvd this evening, expecting it to be found for much less, and was shocked when I picked it off the shelf just two hours ago at a $29 retail listing. This is a barebones, single disc DVD from one of Columbia's early wave of releases. Is there any particular reason that this item is so overpriced?

I bought the 35th Anniversary Edition set of "Easy Rider" with bonus cd soundtrack and 80-page collector's booklet for cheaper than this barebones Columbia Tristar disc from 2001... Is there any reason why this title is so expensive in context to other relative titles?

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Columbia TriStar doesn't seem to be too fond of re-pricing.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

$18.44 from DVD Pacific is the cheapest online price.

It's a great film, but as you say, it is a bare bones release from 2001; it really should retail for around $15.

There are many bare bones Columbia DVDs I'd love to own, but the price is unreasonable.

4. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

I waited until the recent 25% off sale at DVD Soon before buying The Long Gray Line, The Last Hurrah and Only Angels Have Wings, and now the sale has ended the non-sale price of all three has shot up!

The decent news for us on this side of the pond is that Columbia are releasing their classics at reasonable prices at last. For instance at www.sendit.com, upcoming they have Mr Deeds Goes to Town, Only Angels Have Wings, The Howards of Viginia (do a search, you'll find many others), for £4.99!

5. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Sony/Columbia TriStar is certainly the worst offender in releasing overpriced barebones DVDs. Recall what they did with Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy: each film was released separately, barebones, and "unrestored" (beyond what work UCLA did with the film elements). The price? $29.95 each. It's a travesty.

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Life without Movies is unbearable. Why should Columbia stand in my - and more importantly: YOU'RE way of a good, wholesome, Cinematic time?

Grrr, fffu.... hmmmm.