Why is Sony stille issuing single-layer SACD's like TOYS IN THE ATTIC by Aerosmith?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    You know as consumers, we should be a bit insulted that Sony continues to issue them. The public has spoken, they wants their SACD's to be hybrids. I feel like it a kick in the face that they keep doing this.[​IMG] [​IMG] Why, que???? Why does the format's founder issue the lamest product?

TOYS IN THE ATTIC is a great album...personally, I can't listen to it anymore. A one time roomie nearly drove me insane with it years ago.[​IMG] I just can't listen to it anymore! Great album though! ROCKS I can listen to!

Sony needs to do better, no hybrid no buy, me sez! I'm feelin' hardcore!

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Well... I don't listen to CDs in my car. I will not buy any more hybrids until it is confirmed that the "cracking" problem is gone. Hence, for a person like me, I'd gobble up a pure SACD disc. But I'm waiting for Rocks too... [​IMG]

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

All I can say is that I agree. I hate having multiple copies of the same album, especially when it doesn't have to be that way.

Of course, I'll probably buy it anyway.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mike, I've reached the point with SACD and DVD-A too, for that matter, that I feel I can be way more selective. I feel we should be punnishing Sony at the ballot (cash) box. Enough is enuff! Buy the Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan album from Fantasy instead. Other labels are doing SACD right. Sony deserves a pie in the face![​IMG]

5. charles white

charles white Second Unit

Wasn't the Aerosmith album part of the very first batch of SACD's released by Sony?

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Charles, I forgot when JUST PUSH PLAY and their other SACD release_______??? came out but it's been some while.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

8. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Rachael, I agree. I am boycotting single layer discs, which makes it very hard to find something. I was browsing in Busted Buy the other day. They have a pretty good selection of SACDs, but the vast majority are single layer. Telarc seems to release all theirs as hybrids (& pure DSS too!).

I've bought a couple Gabriel & Police hybrids from amazon.fr, but that's pretty costly.

Kevin, I've read the problems others have had with many cracked discs, but so far the only one I've had a problem w/ is DSotM, & that was a while ago. I've bought maybe 8 other hybrids, none with any problems.

Cheers,
    Doug

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Mike, just go review and review. I wouldn't discourage you. We all own some of Sony's single-layer discs but by-gones are by-gones. We shouldn't be buying them
    at this point and they should be selling out existing inventory. New single-layer releases just piss me off! I find it incredulous that Sony is foolish and short-sighted enough to continue to issue them. Sure, I'd be tempted to buy certain Edgar Winter or Boz Scaggs albums if they issued them.

I'd be most tempted by Edgar who has no hi-rez releases. Atleast I have Boz's DIG CD/DVD-A set. However, at this point, I'm fed up with Sony and I can listen to Edgar and his White Trash on vinyl or the MD's I made of said albums. I'm sticking to my guns on single-layer. The only single-layer discs I plan on giving any consideration to in the future are audiophile stuff like the Eighty Eight's label and such.

Resist temptation Mike![​IMG] The hybrids that Universal labels are pouring forth should keep you jazzed up in fine style. I'm listening to the new Aaron Neville NATURE BOY as I type it. It's quite good!

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Doug, if you shop online you can find oddles more hybrids! Really, single-layer discs are the minority of SACD's pressed. You wouldn't know it by shopping at Busted Buy though. Other labels are doing SACD right. It's a shame that Busted Buy carries such a limited selection of SACD's. I suppose it a major coup that they have what they have given the floundering of the format???

When I first got my Sony 9000ES player and I only had about a half-dozen of Sony's SACD's several years back, I got invited to see someone's HT. After the HT stuff, he showed me his stereo that had a Soiny SCD-1 player and I first saw hybrid discs. I ordered AudioQuest's BluesQuest Sampler the next day. Viva le hybrides! At this point, the majority of my collection are hybrids. They're out there to be had. I too made an order from Amazon.fr. I got Deep Purple and a Peter Gabriel. Really, after the VAT was deducted, it wasn't that much more expensive than domestic. I'd order there again, maybe?

The hybrids are out there. You just have to look a little harder for many. BTW, if you don't have Spyra Gyro, there 2 SACD's are @ the local Busted Buy...and hybrids...try them on the Heads Up label. Heads Ups is a subsidary of Telarc. Best wishes![​IMG]

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Thanks for the link Brian![​IMG] I suppose I could read Rolling Stone one more issue...!

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

FWIW, I haven't bought a single-disc SACD in ages. It's all been Dylan and jazz titles from Concord, Fantasy, and Groove Note, as well as the occassional classical.

14. Adrian D

Adrian D Stunt Coordinator

The SACD soundtrack to Chicago is single format.
    I'll have to buy the regular version, because I don't want to only be able to listen to it in my basement.

15. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Hi, Rachael. I actually do most of my shopping online. I use my recent BB visit as an example, because I could quickly go through their whole inventory & see very few hybrids. Online, it does also seem that most US releases are single layer.

When I ordered PG's So, Avalon & something else I can't remember right now, it came to $53 including shipping from amazon.fr. To me, that's quite a bit more than domestic costs.

Seeya.
    Doug

16. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Aren't most hybrids in the cd section, not the SACD section?

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Kyle, yes and no, maybe? At Busted Buy, not usually but maybe? I saw Chick Coria's relatively new hybrid in with the CD's at Busted Buy but that's usually not the case ouside the Stones and Dylan.

18. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Doug, go look at places like:

www.elusivedisc.com
    www.acousticsounds.com
    www.musicdirect.com

The smaller audiophile labels are nearly all hybrid. Labels like Heads Up, Groove Note, DMP, Analogue Productions, Rounder/Zoe, Waterlily Acoustics, AudioQuest, Audio Fidelity, Mobile Fidelity, Chesky, ect. Eighty Eight's is a rare exception. These and the other small labels were the majority of SACD's released till Universal got in the game. At the rate they're going, they'll be the biggest soon, maybe? You can get the wrong idea about what's available by looking at what Sony has offered.

Seems like I came out about $18 each on my order from France. Sure, we all know little, plastic audio discs should be cheaper. It gnaws at me too! Hey, I paid $30 each for the 3 Eighty Eight's discs I have, grudgingly... I love jazz and they do it RIGHT, the DSD recording and some real artists. I wish they were hybrids too but I'm making allowances for some real audiophile stuff. The $25 Mobile Fidelity discs are ones I also cannot resist...Sony gets no allowances at this point! They have few real audiophile quality recordings...!

19. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

It seems that only Sony and Universal are still releasing non-hybrid discs, but all of Sony's November releases are hybrids... perhaps October's releases are the last of the non-hybrid Sonys?

20. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee