What's new

Why is Sony S9000ES is Glitching? (1 Viewer)

Ronald_P

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased a Sony DVP-S9000ES and while playing New DVDs it will glitch Audio and Video usally once for around a 1/2 second. When I replay the track it will not do it again. I assumed it was a just a bad DVD at first but it has done it about on 3 of the last 9 DVDs. What is the cause of this? The unit plays CD and SACDs with no problem and my old DVD never did this. Do I need to send it in for service and how do I do that?

Ron

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
By "glitch" are you referring to audio and video dropouts? And you're sure you're not just looking at clumsy layer changes on the DVDs in question? Has this phenomenon only recently cropped up?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jack, good point about layer changes. Since Ronald mentioned a loss of video and that these losses were not experienced the second time he played the section of the disc, I figured he was experiencing dropouts. Perhaps you are correct though. Hmmm....

Ronald_P

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

The glitch is the audio will squeak or sounds just like when your watching SAT TV and the single is lost on a stormy day. The video seems to be effected at the same time. Not sure how to explain the video but it does not drop out to black. What do you mean by layer changes being clumsy. What it happens there is not much going on with camera angles changing.

Keith,

I was thinking of getting a radio shack DVD lens cleaner with diagnostic but the unit as very light use and effected DVDs were new. I think I will give it a try for $20.

I was wondering if any one on the boards can help so I have the confidence when explaining the issue to Sony Service.

Thanks

Ron

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If the picture is pixellating (momentarily turning into large blocks or streaks of uniform colour) and the audio is dropping out then you may have a faulty laser assembly.

It doesn't sound like you're seeing the layer switch as these always occur at the same spot on a disc. If you give us the disc titles and glitch times we may well be able to confirm this for you. Alternatively, turn on the player's onscreen display and scroll down to the 'Advanced' option. From the pop-out menu select 'Layer' and watch the indicator. It will indicate when the laser changes focus onto the disc's second layer.

In any case, I highly doubt a lens cleaner will fix this problem. Take it to the dealer you bought it from or an authorised Sony service agent to be checked.

Adam

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ronald, I think Adam is correct. The lens cleaner probably will not work. You can try it, but you will probably need to get the player in for service.

Ronald_P

Stunt Coordinator
Adam and Keith,

Well I purched a DVD lense cleaner for $20. Its just some brushes glued to a DVD as far as the cleaning goes.

I also inspected the last DVD that glitched (Video pixellating and audio squealing)and noticed a scratch on the DVD even know it was new so I attempted a exchange for a new one. I inspected one other DVD that I had the problem and no scratches were evident.

Thanks for the input I think I'm going to look into having the laser checked by a service center especially if it happens again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks