What's new

Why is Ringu 24.99???? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
This seems a bit much for this disc at least to me....I've payed 50 and 60 for single discs Crieterion releases but for some reason I was expecting this disc to have a low retail price. This is the price it is going to be sold at at Best Buy....does anyone know anywhere else that this is cheper at?

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I found it for 22.99 at Amazon. That seems much more reasonable as that is a frequent price I have seen recently for foreign films su ch as "The Son's Room" and "Cinema Paradiso".

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I'm losing faith in Best Buy. They raised the prices on many of their DVDs, namely Anchor Bay titles and most of the other cheap price DVDs. They raised the price of the Trigun box set from $149.99 to $199.99. $24.99 seems way too high for Ringu, geez I thought I'd see this one for $14.99. Has to be better than our remake though.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The SRP is $29.99 and the title is not one that would generate lots of interest in the "mainstream." Thus $24.99 at both Best Buy and Circuit City.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I'd assume that it is priced high since not many people have heard of Ringu, and Dreamworks was probably skeptical about putting it out. They probably thought it wouldn't sell very well, so they priced it high in order to get back the money they spent on licensing it and distributing it. It is just like anime DVDs.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yes, it is CDN$24.99 at Best Buy here, about US$16. Hmmm, if it's better than The Ring, maybe I'll pick it up, passed on it the other day when grabbing the other Mar. 4 releases since I didn't know anything about it.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
As I said in the thread on the impressions of the film, Wal*Mart.com lists "Ringu" at $19.96. I would think that the brick and mortar WMs would have it at the same price (or would at least honor the price of the website), so that might be the best place to check first on Tuesday.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Its gonna be $25 at CC? Darn! Thats a bit much for a barebones....$20...I could go for....but...oh well...I'll pay... :frowning:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
It is a foreign film with subtitles...
Most people don't think that movies should be in any language other than English, therefore Best Buy adjusts the price accordingly. Plus it's got "thems black bars!" :D

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
I was naive enough to believe that Best Buy might offer some sort of 'buy both get yadda yadda off' price break, but what a shock to see that 24.99 tag in the flyer! A studio-sanctioned discount coupon attached on the cover (a la Legend Ultimate Edition) would have been welcome as well.

My wallet says 'Ouch!' I'll stick with my olde tyme VHS copy of Ringu for a bit and live with the (excellent) US remake. I suppose this is karmic retribution for that time when the BB cashier thought my '$5 off when you buy Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown' instant coupon applied to each film and knocked 'em both down to eleven bucks a pop...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors