Why is POLTERGEIST not available in Britain?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I know I could get it on region 1, but I'm just wondering why it is not available in Blighty.

The region 1 edition was originally from MGM, but is it now a snap-case from Warner?

Would any future British release be Warner?

I heard that a SE was in the works but was cancelled at Spielberg's insistence - true?

Cheers.

Gordy

2. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

At lot of the time films are held up because of "rights issues". The sequel is avialable here through MGM. I'll bet its something to do with ownership. Good film though, scares me shitless! [​IMG]

3. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Gordy [​IMG] !

Poltergeist IS available here ! I didn't think it was either, but I saw it just a couple of weeks ago in FOPP! in Central London, for a tenner. It's a bare-bones edition, the usual crappy WB snap-case. It's not 5.1 and, though I couldn't swear it, I don't think it's anamorphic either.

I was a bit confused because I remember it being announced and then not showing. I've seen it somewhere else as well -
    HMV, I think - so it wasn't just a stray DVD anomaly. I'm doubting it now even as I think about it but I picked it up and looked at the case, and I don't usually make that kind of mistake. Can't say I was too inspired to buy it, despite liking the film.

Have you tried a search on it ? It's out there, man !

P.S Thanks for your kind welcome on an earlier post.
    Cheers to you too, fellow Scot [​IMG] !

4. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

5. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    FOPP is an independent CD/DVD/Bookshop. Their first store (I think it was their first) was in my home town of Edinburgh, but they've now opened a branch in the centre of London, on St Martin's Lane (?).It's whole angle is that it sells all the above at reduced rates - CD's at £5-10, and many bargains on DVDs. I got BUFFY SEASON 4 there for £50 when it's retail price is something like £70. Not everything's cheap, and you won't get bang-up-to-the-minute stuff at a huge discount, but it's worth checking fairly regularly.There's always a little oddity tucked away somewhere.

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Aye, there's a Fopp here in Aberdeen. Good store. Good stuff. Bought most of my complete Bob Dylan and Neil Young collections there with each CD costing, as Anthony says, for £5.00 - crazee! [​IMG]

Good books too. Good shop for students. And old people, for some reason. Or is that just up here, Anthony?! [​IMG]

The Fopp store here got done for pre-selling DVDs recently though! Madness! [​IMG]

Gordy

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

in complete agreement about Fopp, got lots of Miles Davis for a fiver

[​IMG]

8. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

Fopp in Glasgow takes most of my wages. I picked up some great soul albums and some Miles Davis also. I also picked up The Elephant Man DVD for five sheets of paper. Great place [​IMG]

9. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    AND we gave them all our oil ! What more do they want from us ?! [​IMG]

10. Douglas R

Doug

11. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Douglas - all I can tell you is that it WAS Poltergeist, and I saw it somewhere else as well. There was only one copy in Fopp and it might have been from R2 Europe, but that seems unlikely. I've checked a few sites and none of them seem to have it so it's a bit of a mystery what's going on here.
    Somebody in the UK actually posted here saying that they had it but the post was erased. Maybe they could post again just to prove that I have not completely lost my mind.
    And, by the way, I saw the original STAR WARS trilogy on DVD in Woolworths the other day - a six disc box-set for £9.99.
    No, that's a joke. But not the Poltergeist bit.

12. Douglas R

Doug
    Anthony - I take back what I said, I believe you! I've looked on ebay and there are quite a number of R2 POLTERGEIST with a UK 15 classification. Warner must have pressed this title and either did a restricted release (as Fox did with ANASTASIA through W H Smith) or else decided not to distribute it but some copies somehow slipped out.

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    HMV has Poltergeist II (£ 6.99). I know it's not the same, but it suggests that Poltergeist may have been released. One day.

Cees

Later: But here is what Benson's World says about it:

Poltergeist (DVD) NEVER RELEASED ~ Not available
    A host of other-worldly forces invades a peaceful suburban home. It starts with just the odd strange occurrence or two, but soon the house is turned i... Read more
    [​IMG]

However:
    DVD Zone 2 seems to have it (€ 22.99). A pan-European version, so to say [​IMG]. With French on the outside.
    C.

14. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Cheers, Douglas [​IMG] Beginning to think I'd lost it there !
    Course, now I'm kind-of wishing I'd picked it up.
    But really, it was a totally underwhelming disc, no effort put into it at all. I'll make do with my VHS until they release it in anamorphic - as I'm sure they will at some point.
    Strange though ; POLTERGEIST suddenly appearing in shops of its own accord . . . perhaps there's a troubled child working for Warners ? [​IMG]

15. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Hey - remember this ? The mysterious Poltergeist thread ?

Well, go to www.dvd.co.uk and do a search on the title.
    They seem to have copies of the very disc I saw for £7.99.
    They say it's been deleted for 2 years.

Why have they got it for sale ? Another mystery . . .

16. Jaime_C

Jaime_C Auditioning

Hi

I actually own this UK R2 disc! [​IMG]

Have had it about a year now, it just happened to appear in a local independant retailer I go to, they got two copies I scored one and the other went to an employee!

It's 2.35:1 with a nice clear picture and Dolby Surround. I get roughly 2" black bars top and bottom ona widescreen TV so I'm guessing it's not anamorphic, (not too clued up on 2:35 anamorphic, you still get black bars don't you!?), forgive my stupidity!:b

No special features not even a trailer or cast and crew notes though, but I only paid £8 for it so I'm not too bothered![​IMG]

Hope this clears it up a bit, however whether I should own this disc is another matter entirely!

Jim