Why is Planes Trains and Automobiles Rated 'R'?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy_S, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

I was telling my 12 year old about how great this movie is (he LOVED Uncle Buck) so I purchased it and I was surprised to find it was rated R. I don't remember anything in it that would give it such a strict rating. Was it the scene where
    Steve Martin is cursing at the rental car lady?

Is there a sex scene or something extremely violent that I don't remember?

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

It was the cursing scene. Funny as hell, too!

3. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

This could be a reason:

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Drop the F bomb over 3 times and it's R

As if every 6yo in the country doesn't know that word

5. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Yeah. Stand By Me got an R-rating for language only. Although some of the language might seen inappropriate for a young kid, I first saw that movie when I was 8, and my parents let me watch it with them and I very much enjoyed it. I think that is a movie that every young boy should see.

As for Planes Trains Automobiles, the rental car scene has to be the reason. I mean, theres other adult humor in the movie too that by itself probably would have given it a PG-13 rating, however, Im sure all the fucks pushed it over the limit.

6. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

Great. Thanks guys. He's heard the word already so I think it'll be okay if he watches to movie. Besides, this will teach him that the only time it's okay to use the word is when it's funny as hell [​IMG]

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

8. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I think because of the two pillows and Steve Martin's hand. [​IMG]

9. Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander Second Unit

"Where's your other hand?"
    "Between two pillows..."
    "Those aren't PILLOWWWWWWWWWWWWS!!!!!!!!!"

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The Score was another movie that easily could have been a PG-13 if not for language. Like anyone under the age of 17 hasn't heard any of that language before. Ridiculous.

11. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Maybe the word "fucking" should only count for 1/2 the value of "fuckin'" as it is the more humorous variant. [​IMG] (Although that would still leave PT&A way over the limit.)

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

F*ckin' Aye!
    [​IMG]

13. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

While the use of the f word as an automatic R is silly, I least I know why those films get an R. What's perplexing is what in Father of the Bride parts 1 or 2 get those films a PG rating. There's not even a hell or a damn as far as I can tell.

14. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Well, I'll be the lone dissenter here because I don't want to see a bunch of f-bombs in PG-13 movies. Its already tough to tell what qualifies as a safe PG-13 versus a hard PG-13 (one that I would not take my son to).

Brian

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Great movie...but any movie that uses the F word should be rated R, whether a 6 yr old has heard it before or not.

16. Adam Lenhardt

I haven't raised any children, so forgive me if this is a stupid question Brian and Dave, but why? It seems like such an arbitrary distinction. The word shouldn't cause anyone psychological harm. As long as they know better than to run around going "Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" I really don't see why it's such a big issue.

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

18. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

The joy of the English language is that there are slight but meaningful nuances to words. For someone who treasures using the correct word at the right time to convey precisely what one means, one can only use that particular word. Sometimes that word will be offensive to others who do not appreciate the concept of concise vocabulary.

BFD

19. Adam Lenhardt

If the ratings standards were more clearly defined then they are, and if they were simply guidance rather than limitations, I would agree with you. Certainly, that is how ratings SHOULD be. But a (pre)teenager (in my opinion of course) should be able to see a film without having to drag their parent along if the only thing that puts it in that 'Restricted' limitation is the extended use of that single word (especially if it is used in a non-sexual context). I respect your beliefs on the matter, and while I don't share them in this matter as I would with for instance violence, I agree there should be a standardized system which advises what one can expect from a film.

The problem with this is twofold:
    1) The ratings standards are far from standardized. Those who are respected in the industry or who have the support of the big studios get much more leeway than, say, and independent filmmaker. This alone invalidates them are a compass for what content can be expected in a film.

2) By imposing these guidelines as admission restrictions, the entire public is held to the moral standards of the MPAA.

There are many films otherwise perfectly acceptable for youth consumption except for minor things like language and drug use (even in a way that shows how bad drug use is). Almost Famous comes to mind. Then there are films rated PG-13 or less that contain no foul language, onscreen violence, or drug use that contain suggestive themes and/or dramatic elements that are totally unsuitable for younger people.

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I personally would have given The Score a PG

Nothing offensive in there, except Brando says Fuck too much