What's new

Why is my Sony picture B&W? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bauer

Auditioning
Hi-
I'm a real newbie here. I've been all over this and other HT fora looking for some answers, and this crowd seems the most knowlegeable and friendly.
***#1***
I just got my first DVD, a Panasonic RP91. I connect it to my Sony KV-27FS16 via component cables. The picture is B & W. Very detailed, rock-steady, but not what I was expecting, ya know?
Standard (1 plug) video works
S-Video works better
Am I missing some setting?
**#2**
I had been looking forward to using the vaunted Progressive Scanning. When using component cables, (still in B&W), I push the button for the famous blue light, and the picture dissolves into diagonal noise.
I've gleaned from various postings that not all TV's support progressive scanning. --even my 8 month old Wega?
Thanks in advance for your input, and thanks for the answers y'all have provided for so many others.
peace
brian
setup:
Wega KV-27FS16
Panasonic DVE-RP91
Aragon 24K preamp
Aragon 4004 mark II amp
Vandersteen 2ci speakers

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Brian:
If you're getting a B&W picture, one or more of the component cables is bad, or one or more of the terminals for the cables is bad. The component cables separate the colors from the B&W picture. Try new cables, and if that doesn't work, you may have to play around to see whether it's the DVDs cable terminals or the TVs cable terminals that may be bad.
To see a progressive DVD picture, you have to be using a TV that can show a 480p picture. I don't believe your TV can do so. Currently, all the TVs I have seen that can are called "HDTV ready." I don't believe your TV is HD. You are getting the diagonal noise because your TV can't generate a picture from the progressive signal.
SMK

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Only the XBR Wega models can show a progressive picture. Your model is not a digital TV, the XBR's are digital.
I have the 36XBR400, the reason I spent the xtra money was for the digital tuner = progressive scan DVD and HD via Direct TV. I'm not sure if the 27 inch is made in an XBR model....
Marshawn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks