Why is my PC memory being sucked dry?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Alf S, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    I've got a 2 year old HP Pavillion (Pentium 3, W2K, IE6)with 256mb of memory installed.

By chance I decided to look at Task Manager and noticed it said I have 260,000K Physical TOTAL Memory and as I type this, only 66,000K memory available. What's up with that?

Right now I'm just running IE, Norton Auto Protect, USRobotics V.92 call waiting, and an internet accecelator my ISP offered us to try call Propel Accelerator.

My StartUp programs have been weeded down to the bare minimum as well.

Are the programs I mentioned hogging my Memory? I've disable them and the memory still shows being very low.

I tried PC Pitstop, and it reported back that my PC is in great shape. I passed all tests including memory and internet speeds etc.

ANy thoughts?

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

That seems to be the same problem with me. I have a custom built (P3 800mHz, WinME, IE6) also with 256MB installed. Currently, the only programs that are running (in the taskbar) are: IE6, MSN Messenger, FreeRAM XP Pro, and SystemSuite 5. Yet, I only have 40MB of free ram. IS that normal?

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

*cough* more RAM *cough*

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

windows 2000 and windows XP improve performance by loading almost everything that they can into physical memory, that's why a majority of people will reccomend 512MB+ of memory for these operating systems.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The OS itself takes memory, plus it allocates some for disk caching and so forth. There's no point in having unused free memory, other than some sense of peace of mind. Let's say you paid for 2GB of RAM, and always had 1GB free. Seems like you bought twice as much as you need.

//Ken

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer