What's new

Why is my laptop screen so much better... (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
than the LCD TVs (flat panel or rear projection) that I've seen so far? I just spent a week camping and brought my 3 1/2 year old Powerbook 15" widescreen along for "rainy day" movie watching with the kids (and for myself). I've only used it for movie watching very sparingly, and without any critical viewing in mind, until the other night. I decided to test the screen and see if it had the problems I've seen with LCD TVs. I watched in total darkness, 18 inches from the screen and did NOT notice motion blur (which is the biggest beef I have with LCD TVs so far) nor did I find the blacks to be anything other than very good (very very good in daytime viewing). The laptop doesn't do so well with video based material (anamorphic film sourced DVDs are fine) but that's a limitation in the processor, not the screen itself (unless I am much mistaken).

Is my laptop really that much better than most LCD TVs (even new ones from respected brands)? What's going on?

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Not only that, but LCD computer monitors generally have faster response times, around 4ms. I have a 37" Westinghouse 1080p LCD and the response time is 12ms.

I dont know why it is that they cant improve the response times on larger LCD's to match that of the smaller screens.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Size is the only factor? I can buy that for sharpness, but for better blacks? And it would seem with a relatively mature tech like LCD, refresh rate issues on larger displays would not be a problem. Oh well.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I've noticed this with my own Dell laptop as well and attribute the increase in picture quality to decreased size. My UMD movies on my PSP look almost high-def! Than again, it's a 4" screen!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks