What's new

Why is my HDTV output so "selective"? (1 Viewer)

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the deal; I want to have my HDTV (Zenith HDTV/Monitor model D36D53) connected to my PC monitor's (Samsung SyncMaster 170MP) PIP mode. It works great using the line-out (RCA) from my HDTV for viewing cable and VHS tapes, but when I have my pro-scan DVD player, Gamecube, Xbox, or any other pro-scan/HD source running, the output goes back to cable TV :/

Is this some sort of macrovison crap or something? Or is it because the HDTV would have to downconvert a 480p source to the RCA line out?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Tim K

Second Unit
I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about....but I think what you are saying is that you cannot use PIP or split screen with any progressive source (480p)?

Most TV's will not allow you to split or do PIP with anything but 480i sources. That is why only your Composite RCA cable seems to work. Same goes for 1080i.

Only interlaced signals can be used for split or PIP.

Anthony_C

Agent
I'm not sure, but doesn't a HD signal and progressive scan signals be fed through the either DVI or R/G/B component video?

I didn't think you could use regular RCA or S-video connections.

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
Nuts. Here was what I was trying to to:

a) My wife plays a lot of video games (right now she's working The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)

b) While she plays games, I'm usually on the computer

c) I'd like to see what she's doing without having to get up and look around the corner every 30 seconds.

d) I have a video line-out on the back of the HDTV she's playing Zelda on (Zelda runs at 480p)

e) My PC monitor has several inputs (RCA, Coaxil, S-Video) for PIP - great for watching TV while using the computer. Would be nice for watching my wife play video games.

f) For some reason (conversion issues most likely, like you guys said) the line-out I get from the HDTV to my PC monitor can only be antenna or VCR sources.

If anyone else knows of a CHEAP solution to this problem (other than getting of my ass evey 30 seconds, hehe ;) let me know. Thanks!

Tim K

Second Unit
progressive signals cannot be carried by s-video, coax or RCA video cable. I'm not familiar with any of these gaming systems....but if there is a way to switch the game to interlaced (480i) instead of progressive, then you could monitor her.

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, but unfortunately my wife has been spoiled by progressive scan. Looks like I'll have to get off my lazy ass :thumbsdown:

Oh well, I wouldn't want to play video games at less than 480p either (unless I absolutely had too, haha)

Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks