Why is my blood pressure high?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jared_B, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I was at the hospital lately visiting some friends and their newborn, and I came across one of those test-yourself blood pressure machines. My reading was 144/86 I believe, which the machine said was pretty high.

1. What causes high BP?
    2. What can be done about high BP? Is there any simple changes I can make that will lower this, without resorting to medication?

I'm a fairly fit 22 year old (5'9", 150lb), and I generally take decent care of myself. I know however, that I'm in below-average cardio shape. When running at an average pace, I'll get very winded after about 2 blocks. Will increasing my cardio fitness also lower my BP?

I'm due for a physical in a few months, and I'd like to come out with a clean bill of health.

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

3. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Well, there you go. It's obviously my diet. Cup O' Noodles for lunch about 4 times a week, and tacos (taco seasoning, yum) about 3 times a week. Then there's the can of soda daily. I'm (surprisingly) below the recommended amount of alcohol, though.

4. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

My doc says those digital machines are inaccurate. You'll probably do better when you see your doc next month.

5. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Elisha Cuthbert. [​IMG]