What's new

Why is MGM still releasing non-anamorphic titles in 2008?!? (1 Viewer)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
After enjoying the anamorphic The One That Got Away recently released by MGM/Fox, I went to watch Carve Her Name With Pride, released on the same day, and it wasn't anamorphic!! What is wrong with MGM/Fox, that they are still releasing non-anamorphic DVDs in 2008!?!

This is 2008, so I, quite frankly, have stopped looking to see if something is anamorphic, because every new release I buy is anamorphic, except for one other one recently released by MGM. And I know they had a reputation of only labelling half of their DVDs as to whether or not they're anamorphic anyway ( for example, The One That Got Away wasn't labelled as anamorphic, yet it was anamorphic).

This is the last purchase by me of any new MGM title, until I see a review somewhere indicating that it was done right, since they refuse to tell the consumer what the package contains.

The days of checking for anamorphic labelling are over for me, but now it's checking if the name MGM is on the DVD--if it is, then they've lost me as a consumer.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Interesting; since the UK R2 is also non-anamorphic (both the original and the 'SE'), I was kinda hoping R1 would come to the rescue. Shame.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
This was not a title they thought worth the expense of remastering, so they went with the existing widescreen laserdisc transfer. Sucks, but there you have it.

Regards,

Joe

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I bought Robert Wise's ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW (1959 MGM). A fine transfer, but I was surprised that it is full-screen. TCM has aired it in the correct aspect ratio of 1.85:1 so I can't understand why MGM didn't issue it that way.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Already been said.....
They just don't care. (Maybe also just too cheap to do it the right way.)
Don't ever buy a box set from MGM without carefully checking reviews on each and every disc.

Vern

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, always have a good look at an MGM Box Set before you buy it. They're still including that years old non-anamorphic "The Great Escape" DVD in a few boxes, they must have a warehouse full on 'em.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Glenn "DVD Savant" Erickson's review of MGM's DVD of, Carve Her Name with Pride states:

Glenn has close ties with MGM, often editing their DVD documentaries and featurettes, so it's kosher. How did MGM end up with the rights to this film, anyway?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well I've read that a few times & can't make sense of it. What is Glenn Erickson saying? That MGM filled the HD 16:9 screen with a 1:66 picture, thus losing a bit of the top & bottom of the picture. If so why not down convert it to 16:9 anamorphic for SD DVD, how do they get flat 1:66 from that? All those rubbish flat 1:66 titles from MGM.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Also, you really wouldn't believe the number of people working within the industry that really have no grasp whatsoever on technical matters.

Simple incompetence is often to blame.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

MGM have released several titles from the Granada International catalogue in the UK in R1; whatever licensing deal they have, this could be part of it? It's puzzling that the R2s (both interations) were non-anamorphic; is there any technical reason why releases both side of The Pond are non-anamorphic (other than 'don't care', obviously)?

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

I was wondering the same. Another DVD company just released a film in 2.35:1 non-anamorphic because that was what they were given. They also argued 16:9 enhancement would reduce the quality. Rubbish

Considering I've seen basic homemade DVD-Rs that did a fine job of converting non-anamorphic to anamorphic, I fail to see why legit DVD producers can't do the same

WadeM

Supporting Actor

He's saying that you can use the zoom feature on your TV which would cut a little off of the top and bottom of the given 1.66:1 picture--which is actually what I wound up doing with this movie because it's more watchable that way on a widescreen TV. And, it actually worked better for this movie than others I've seen.

Also, I think he was thinking faster than he typed the first time around, so he edited another statement to now read: "The reason why is simple: the show was transferred just before MGM decided to present B&W non-Scope movies anamorphic-enhanced."

At least that answers my question. MGM has decided to present "B&W non-Scope movies anamorphic-enhanced.", but they were very late with this decision.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Especially at the executive / decision-making level where technical matters are largely irrelevant, and resented. Labs and pressing plants do what they're told.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well all I can say is MGM decided to give an anamorphic stretch to 1:66 pictures bloody late, bloody late!! Are there any around yet? There's a whole mountain of non-anamorphic DVDs. Zooming in the picture is a big step backwards - worse with only 525 lines!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The most recent transfers of Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger are 1.66:1 anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDDASD
Recent bookmarks