What's new

Why is it? (1 Viewer)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Why is it that the shows I love don't get released to DVD? It doesn't matter if they were popular, not popular, old, new, etc. I've seen some pretty bizarre stuff get released -- shows I've never even HEARD of -- while quality shows still sit in the vault. Shows that never made it higher than #50 in the ratings get rolled out while series that were in the top 10 haven't seen the light of day. This makes no sense to me. I might add that many of the shows I'm waiting for wouldn't have issues with music rights, so that can't be the hold-up. Some are very recent and although they may have been only a one-season series, were much more popular in the ratings than other failed series' that were never a blip on the radar.

I just don't get it. Somebody explain to me how the process works.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My guess would be because the shows you like are intelligent, well-written shows. Unfortunately, the smarter a show, the less appeal it has to the people who buy DVDs.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I've mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again for those who have not read it before.

There are two major factors that prevent certain Titles from being released. They are:

1. Corperate Greed.

Some shows have problems with "Ownership". The Prime Example is the 1966 Batman. All indications are this would be a best-Seller if it came out. 20th Century Fox made this Series, unfortunately Warner Brothers currently "Owns" the Batman Franchise. Both Studios want Royalties, and they cannot agree on an amount. Thus this show remains unsold. Other shows are not out because they contained Popular Music in them. The Wonder Years is the "Poster Child" here. The Studios that provided the Music want Royalties for their use, and they cannot agree on an amount, thus this show is not available.

2. Political "Correctness"

Some shows are not available because some Group finds them to be "Offensive" in one way or another. Walt Disney's Song of the South is such an example. Because the Movie takes place on a Plantation before the Civil War certain Afro-American Groups find this Movie to be "Offensive". Disney fears there will be repercussions, such as Boycotts, if they were to release this Movie, so they don't. Other Shows aren't released because certain Ethnic Groups say a Characture on a Show "Steriotypes" them. Lastly some shows arent released because a Person who starred on that show made a Political or Religious Statement that "Offends" a Group, so the Studio refuses to release the Show.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
I, too, am curious about the shows you’re referring to in the original post.

I have no doubt your claims are valid for the shows that may most interest you… but for the most part I think that, while it may be slowing now, over the years the studios have done a remarkable job at getting the material out.

Personally, with the completion of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea by year’s end, I’ll have nearly everything I wanted from DVD – and many things I never dreamed possible.

I’ve conceded that I’ll never have Batman (rights), and am disappointed that Huckleberry Hound may never finish and we will probably never see Quick Draw McGraw (underscore rights, I’ve heard) – but unexpected treasures like Thriller the Complete series and The Abbott and Costello Show continue to amaze me that they ever get released at all!

Even series that looked like they were dead – like Ironside and Voyage (my big remaining two) – are coming back with more volumes!

Either way, I hope you eventually get what you want from DVD.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
There may also be cases of studio's holding onto shows they want to release themselves at some point but have no time to now, but licensing distribution rights to some lesser known titles to smaller companies like Shout and Timeless that jump at the chance to get releases out.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Elena S

Why is it that the shows I love don't get released to DVD?

"... I'll just wait and see if both volumes of this are released. If so, I'll order both provided the price is reasonable. If they charge 30 or 40 bucks for a half season of 16 episodes, that's too expensive and I won't take the bait. If they would release the whole series in one shot and charge 35 bucks for it, that I would go for."

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/243009/i-m-dickens-he-s-fenster-reportedly-coming#post_3736484

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Elena S
There may also be cases of studio's holding onto shows they want to release themselves at some point but have no time to now, but licensing distribution rights to some lesser known titles to smaller companies like Shout and Timeless that jump at the chance to get releases out.

Good point, and some of it may be due to emerging delivery technologies, streaming, downloading, etc. I hope not, personally, but some feel that it's the wave of the future.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I think there are different reasons why some shows aren't available on dvd.

There isn't one answer that covers them all.

tvshowsondvd has done a list of the main shows,

and the some explanations:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/articles/holdup.cfm

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Everyone that's participated in this thread has hit on all the points I would have shared. This phenomenon (TV on DVD) has been chugging along for a decade now and I'd say a solid majority of truly A list classic TV shows has been released. That's not to say there still aren't some highly popular, well known series that have yet to see a release. There clearly are. But I'd have to say that most of the well known, top notch shows have been released (at least in part).

Gary "I know how you feel though, Elena, I'm still missing several favorites from my collection" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
A year ago I made a list that noted the number of *completed* titles from the 60s and you could produce a 24/7 schedule for a cable channel around those titles alone. The 70s, things slacken off a bit in terms of completed series, but even there we just got one significant title in MTM completed at long last and overall there are very few genuine classic of the 50s-70s that had long runs and have ZERO DVD representation. The only show that fits that category is "The FBI" at nine seasons and nothing out on DVD. The big long-running westerns may not have a high percentage of episodes out from their runs but at least its some kind of DVD representation to give the average person hours of repeat enjoyment (I would note that four seasons of "Gunsmoke" on DVD is equivalent to having the ENTIRE run of classics like "Twilight Zone" and "The Dick Van Dyke Show") and not get overly self-conscious about what isn't out.

So I think all in all we should feel like we're at a point where we can afford to view the *total* state of TV on DVD as more than a half-full than half-empty glass of water. There's obviously room for a lot more to come out but I think we can feel instinctively less frustrated at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks