Why is it illegal to pump gas in Oregon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This is a carryover from this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...8&pagenumber=3
    Where I asked the question, but it was ignored.
    Does anyone know why it is illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon?
    That's one thing I've always hated about Oregon (and friends from oregon who grew up believing pumping gas should be handled by a qualified profesonal and thus are scared to death to pump their own).
    Does anyone know WHY this is the case? Do they do this just to provide jobs to otherwise unqualified citizens? Do you have to go through a state licensing program to be a qualified gas pump attendant.
    -Vince

2. Jody C Robins

Jody C Robins Stunt Coordinator

Isn't the same thing true in New Jersey - there is no self serve?

3. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Vince,

This question was answered a few months back in a thread regarding why it is illegal to do so in New Jersey. Sorry I cant find a link for it, but basically someone stated that it is due to insurance reasons.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I always wondered why myself. Around here, you can't find a full-service station to save your life. But when I was in college in NJ, I always had to wait for someone else to do it and could never figure out why.
    I just figured we were smarter than the average Jersey-ite. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

There's various laws on it, each with their own reasoning. It can also be town-specific within a state. Massachusetts is a state where you can pump your own gas, but up until a few years ago, a number of towns had prohibitions about it. I think a lot of these were tied up in the various blue laws that we got rid of. But it was amusing. I never did self serve until I was like 22.

6. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

You know, I am a born and raised Oregonian and never looked into the why of this stupidity. I would much rather pump my own gas because it has to cost more since they have to pay some lackey minimum wage to pump the gas I could easily pump.

7. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

I'm sure it's because Joe Lawmaker thinks Jim Oregonian isn't smart enough to pump gas into a tank without spilling all over the ground and then lighting that excess fuel on fire. Having grown up in Oregon, I can attest that many of these "trained fueling professionals" (they're not trained, I'm being completely sarcastic dammit) actually try to "top off" tanks for the extra 20 cents and end up overfilling tanks themselves. Not only does this defeat the whole purpose of the mandatory pump-jockey, but it's bad for my paint job.

If you're ever in Oregon and want to have some fun, pull into a busy gas station and start filling your own tank. See how quickly one of these gas-jockies comes running over to save your life.

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

[​IMG]
    I needed that.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

when I lived there I heard two main excuses, safety, and it creates jobs, with a minimum wage of 6.50 I'm not sure the NEED to create jobs, I think the economy is pretty strong out there still.

oddly enough I don't think it adds much to the cost, gas in Oregon has a littl higher, or about the same state tax that MT has and the prices tend to be the same or pretty close.

the funny thing is, they'll let me pump my own gas into my motorcycle

10. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Another odd gas-pumping thing, coming from Indiana: in Indiana (self-serve), gas nozzles have little catches that allow it to stay on (pumping) even if you let go. This is very convenient, since you can then clean your windows, say, while the gas is pumping. Here in NY, these latches are removed from the pumps.

Anyone know why?

12. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

In a similar vein, why is it illegal to sell cars on a Sunday in Illinois?

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The law was enacted to create jobs AFAIK, nothing to do with safety. It basically ensures that 2 full time jobs are created for each 8 hour shift at each gas station.

14. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

They have self serve in Canada but for the extra two cents/litre extra, they can pump my gas. The "lackeys", as someone called them, are mostly teenagers and they need money too. It is called creating economic activity. People working (even at the pathetic min wage level) are people with money to spend on goods and services which is what drives Capitalism.......although lately with the attitudes shown by Companies toward their workers....you wouldn't know it.

15. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Another odd illegal thing about Oregon: I cannot submit a resume claiming to be an "Engineer" because I dont belong to the local Railroad union. (They must have had a strong lobby one year and got this law passed.)

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I think there should be a law that we can not operate our gas grills ourselves and that we can't drive ourselves. Those are just two "dangerous" activities that I can think of off the top of my head. How would that be for creating jobs!!

I think they have similar laws, or at least traditions, in Italy. I remember pulling into a gas station there to get gas, and the attendant came running out like he had ants in his pants, gesticulating for us to stop.

I always use self-serve, very few stations here still have attendants that pump the gas for you. If you want someone to pump it for you, it's normally 20 cents (I think, been a while since I saw one) or so more per gallon.

/Mike

17. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

18. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

19. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Vince,

You're right about this having nothing to do with capitalism. If I remember correctly, many or most gas stations in Illinois used to at least offer full-serve pumps (for a higher price), but then the owners realized that the people pumping the gas --highly skilled mechanics-- would be better off focusing on the lucrative car repairs.

20. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Well said, Vince. I think that the retail sector of any regional economy is elastic and shrinks or grows to fit the current demand. Restaurants, gas stations, malls...they all reflect the relative strength of the economy. And the truest sense of a free market, capitalist society is that everything has been assigned a value. By making a minimum wage or forcing extra jobs, the overall value gets diluted because the amount of capital and labor are being controlled by something other than the laws of economics.

Whew!

Jason